Had fun restoring an old Stanley #71

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a rust covered Stanley #71 - Type 8 from a local refuse waste station.

I soaked the plane overnight in EvapoRust, and then after carefully dismantling it, attacked all the parts with a wire brush.

As I have a working Type 14 (which I love using) I have placed my restored plane up for sale on our local version of eBay :)

Below, are a couple of "Before" and "After" photographs.

old#71.jpg

old#71_2.jpg

Attachments

• old#71.jpg
    old#71.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 713
  • old#71_2.jpg
    old#71_2.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 695
that's very tastefully done, you've not overdone it, the handles look a bit dry but it's not too shiny.

Like the tyreman said!
And if you did decide to sell it on, you should get a good return, with router prices on eBay still riding high.

thetyreman":1macb5it said:
that's very tastefully done, you've not overdone it, the handles look a bit dry but it's not too shiny.

Since the "After" photo was taken, I applied a coating of BLO to both handles. The finished product looks great :)

Old#71_4.jpg

Attachments

• Old#71_4.jpg
    Old#71_4.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 672
Good start! Now just needs some wire-wheel work and a couple coats of shellac or varnish :D

ED65":2cmoo6v1 said:
Good start! Now just needs some wire-wheel work and a couple coats of shellac or varnish :D

I was hesitant to use the wire-wheel in fear of stripping whatever coating there was on the plane. Have bitten the bullet and was able to remove the persistent bits of crud that EvapoRust didn't remove :)

Have applied some wax to the handles - I don't want to shellac or varnish them.

I restored a Record #071 recently. Like you I also left the handles bare wood with BLO. You lose sight of the grain/figuring in the rosewood, but it does feel better in the hands and I use my tools or shift them on...

The cutter adjusting rod/screw was bent on mine, and I couldn't get a BSF threaded rod at 1/4" 26tpi very easily. I could get a BSCy rod at the same width and thread on ebay though and these are "interchangeable" with BSF in this size (although the thread profile is 60 degrees rather than 55). I worried that it would make the nut feel loose but actually a new threaded rod without wear tightened things up even with the compromise profile. A big advantage was that I could cut the new rod 5mm longer allowing me to fit replacement Veritas cutters without flipping the adjusting nut over in future.

I got all the old paint off mine and resprayed the top with the usual smooth blue hammerite paint that I find a good choice as it tends to bond well with bare metal and also with any leftover bits of old enamel if over-painting something with the baked enamel paint like an old bench vice or woodwork vices after sanding back. It's a little lighter than the original Record Blue but good enough for me...

I'll try and find photos...

very nice I just snagged a record 71 managed to spot at the bottom of one of those rusty tool lots they some times sell for pretty cheap on ebay. Even without the cutter and the depth gauge I couldn't believe my luck. Ill be reading your post through as a litle guide. Cheers

Back