Benchtop thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LarryS":1ktkmgei said:
Apologies if this is a daft question, but how do you use a thicknesser without a planer? Does the timber already need to be dimensioned ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The americans call them lunch box planers, (no, dont ask why) theres plenty of references and pictures online to show you how they work.

SammyQ":284qwraw said:
The DW733 is a really well made machine. Bloomin heavy though.
I'd fight its corner by saying 'that is no bad thing,

Definitely, I perhaps begrudge it as I haven't a place for it to live yet, so it gets lumped around whenever it's needed hah.

Err, somewhat related is the fact a company called Byrd Tool do custom spiral cutterheads that fit the DW733, which is a unique plus. We've got one on ours and, while it was expensive, it's probably saved us an equivalent amount in time sanding by now, and still on the original cutting edge of the first set of inserts.

Re Sammy Q’s comment that “Until you work out how many mm's vertically a turn of the handle equates to, it's easy to over-cut... “, one extra feature of the DW733 is an adjustable gauge on the handle. Each turn of the handle equates to 1.5 mm and a gauge on the top has markings at 0.0 mm, 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm and 1.5mm. Do a cut, set the gauge to zero against the mark then crank the handle until the 0.5mm etc. lines up with the mark and the cutting height is reduced by 0.5 mm or whatever. Due to the diameter of the gauge, it’s quite possible to adjust the depth by 0.25 mm or even less.

Yup, though I found this method a little inconsistent, possibly because the disc on my handle was worn, and therefore loose and slipped a little(?). Could also have been my clumsiness! Despite that it was a very good method to get to 'inside the ballpark ' measurements, as experience allowed you to judge degrees of rotation of the handle equals millimetric fractions of cut as Student says above.
For ultra-sensitive depths of cut, I would 'sneak up' on it, using conventional measurements of the board outside the machine.
Rootin'tootin' bit of kit, dependable, rugged, powerful. Loved it.

Sam

Back