how to cut MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
or maybe hdmdf?
help, how do I tell the difference?
back story;
a few years ago when I was just starting this hobby, I needed a bed base made. I was unsure of my abilities so had a furniture making shop make one for me. Yup, you guessed it, its rubbish and even then I could have done better, and for a lot less money.
Anyway, its kind of worked for 4 years but is now coming apart at the seams (not that it has any).
Its made of 4 pieces of (?) mdf, hdf, whatever, I really dont know the terms. But in the process of rebuilding it, I want to lower it a couple of inches, which involves trimming all four of these pieces. Its a super king bed, so they are long and heavy. What blade would cut this stuff best on a table saw?

I just use a general purpose blade for most cuts, a fine blade will give a better finish on "furry" MDF but shouldnt need the expense of a specific blade, even a hand saw and finish with a router along a straight edge would do it

sunnybob":1fxqhixl said:
or maybe hdmdf?
help, how do I tell the difference?
back story;
a few years ago when I was just starting this hobby, I needed a bed base made. I was unsure of my abilities so had a furniture making shop make one for me. Yup, you guessed it, its rubbish and even then I could have done better, and for a lot less money.
Anyway, its kind of worked for 4 years but is now coming apart at the seams (not that it has any).
Its made of 4 pieces of (?) mdf, hdf, whatever, I really dont know the terms. But in the process of rebuilding it, I want to lower it a couple of inches, which involves trimming all four of these pieces. Its a super king bed, so they are long and heavy. What blade would cut this stuff best on a table saw?
Generally a finer tooth blade (nice and sharp). I understand MDF is quite abrasive.

Oh, and do it outside if you can. MDF dust is unpleasant stuff.

Given that it sounds like a Big Lad, you could likely get away with using a flat block (one as high as you want removing) and a multitool with a wood blade. With the bed on a flat surface you could then place the block next to each leg and use that as a guide for the multitool. Small nibbles to each side of the leg to get a nice clean line all round. Then prop the corner up enough to take the leg just off the floor (so it doesn't squash the blade with the weight of the bed (homer) ) and have at it.

Whichever way you skin the cat be sure and slap something on the exposed wound to stop it sucking up any moisture and turning to puffy mush.

dont have a multitool capable of that job. i do have a table saw and a unwilling assistant (if my dress gets dirty you can buy me another one :roll: (hammer)

What would seal the cut edge best? shellac? polyuerethane? white primer?

I'm going to cover the pieces in vinyl cloth so looks arent important, just a one time done forever job.

Phew, dodged a bullet on this one =D> =D> =D> =D>
I was taking the thing apart and cutting it down as it was such a high bed, some of our vertically challenged friends had difficulty getting on to it when they came to stay.

Once apart, I saw that the casters had all flattened out at the bottom, so instead of replacing them only to have it happen again, I bought some solid sliders instead. This lowered the bed by 3" :lol: :lol:

So I didnt have to cut anything. Just covered all the pieces with leather look vinyl, repaired all the broken brackets and strengthened the bits that looked likely to fail, and re-assembled.
Job complete.

Latest posts

Back