I made a rebate plane, but..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":2woahu8b said:
I've often wondered why it is called a moving fillister plane, as though there is a stationary version.

Well there was one, naturally, known as a standing rebate plane.

Each plane would only cut one size of course. Although this would have been ok if you were making a lot of the same stuff, in practice the planes are relatively rare.

Ok, slight correction, Standing Fillister seems to be the more common term.

Here's a diagram by Charles Hayward showing the different wooden rebating planes.

rebate_planes.png

And to prove that neither of us is making this up, here's a real one:

standing_fillister2.png

standing_fillister1.png

AndyT":1vly9alm said:
MikeG.":1vly9alm said:
I've often wondered why it is called a moving fillister plane, as though there is a stationary version.

Well there was one, naturally, known as a standing rebate plane.

Each plane would only cut one size of course. Although this would have been ok if you were making a lot of the same stuff, in practice the planes are relatively rare.

I have no idea if historical practice was to make these planes in-shop (I know that the idea of a professional planemaker is something much newer than the idea of using planes in general).

A user on a US forum years ago encouraged me to make one-off fixed fence versions of planes that I'd use reasonably often, and the design he showed has an open mortise. I don't read historical texts much, but I think a reference to the roubo bouvet style (i don't speak french, either, so on clue if bouvet is a much more generalized term) sent me making several of that type. They work a treat, and you can size the runner to the iron, which generally eliminates the need for a nicker, at least for most purposes.

If anyone on here consistently rebates cases at 1/2 and 3/4", etc, it's worth having planes that just do it without setup. Same with drawer grooves - and due to the cost of some places (cosman's page comes to mind with a three figure flatsawn maple drawer grooving plane), it's worth just learning to make the planes instead of buying them. Most have little irons that can either be snarfed up from another plane, or just made quickly.

I don't know much about wooden planes, but what's the boxwood (I think) infill piece for in that fixed rebate plane, Andy? Just a harder wearing slither of timber so that it doesn't wear out right on the corner?

Trevanion":su1cgi2d said:
I don't know much about wooden planes, but what's the boxwood (I think) infill piece for in that fixed rebate plane, Andy? Just a harder wearing slither of timber so that it doesn't wear out right on the corner?

Exactly that!

Some planes were available in several grades, at increasing prices, with more and more boxing.

Dave, professional plane making in England goes back to at least the 17th century. Planes with a sawn slot to hold the iron and wedge are a pretty sure sign of a user made plane.

right on the 17th century -my point was that the finest of work was being done before then. At least from what I've read/heard, and i'll admit not taking an interest to a level of being able to say anything accurate other than my assumption was that fine work occurred first, and the supposition is that a mature planemaking market (instead of a cabinetmaker just making their tools, inheriting, whatever it may have been) is a younger concept than a mature cabinetmaking trade.

work older than the late 1700s isn't common in the united states unless, for example, a well-to-do family here has gotten a habit of importing 16th century french stuff - thus, it's more or less hypothetical to me except that my experience in making tools is that many things folks would consider backwards or antiquated actually make better tools (for example, an open mortise simple drawer grooving plane with a fixed fence and a matched runner - to the iron - will make a far easier-to-use plane than a plane with fixtures and a skate). The "penalty" in time for each of these specialized tools (which are lifetime tools, even though not visually impressive) is usually an hour or two at the most, made entirely by hand including the iron. People willing to glue plywood together can have the title of fastest to make - even I have my limits taste-wise.

Back