How was this cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A jig to make a jig. :) That sounds do-able, though.
I searched for those handmade ones, no joy but good to see them and they're selling. Once I've got the teeth sorted, it's all down to design I guess - i was thinking something more substantial - the truth is, even with cold water wax, come winter you need a fair bit of pressure on cold days and something that sits back into the palm more is good. And less teeth / bigger spaces is good too, to a degree - more teeth need more pressure. Well, that's my marketing line sorted. :wink:

Myfordman":20rkor7x said:
Isn't Bamboo the ideal stuff to use for strength in small sections?
Not sure, but its bloody hard stuff. I made something from some left over flooring and it wrecked a champfer cutter.
Looks like you've got it sussed out Chris ;@)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Myfordman":1qfebc20 said:
Isn't Bamboo the ideal stuff to use for strength in small sections?
I guess it's good, tho most are made from plastic. But I'm trying to work with local woods more generally and it'd be a shame to change that - plus, local hardwoods, as well as being strong enough, look far better I think.

I made a jig as per, which seemed fine in itself but the slack of the mitre guide in the track was enough to allow some teeth to be different sizes (and hence lengths) to others. Sooo, I went back to plan b and marked up some ash 4mm spaces along one edge and a depth of 7mm, and cut by eye using the mitre guide at 12.5 degrees iirc (whose movement didn't matter as I was relying on seeing the wood was correctly aligned). It took 20 mins to make this from initial cut of a block through oiling, and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Teeth cut:
IMG_2245.jpg

Teeth sanded back and finished:
IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

You can see a couple of the teeth began to disintegrate as the tip was cut so next time I'll leave a tiny flat surface to the tips of each tooth, or sand them flat after [edit - looking at the first photo, they don't seem to have done it in the cutting so maybe it happened when sanding - I used a drum rather than a flat sander so that might sort it]. And I'll allow the teeth to follow the direction of the grain - this was just an off-cut to see if I cut cut the teeth accurately enough - and try to cut a more interesting overall shape. This test's definitely good enough to use, which we'll do tomorrow at the crack of dawn!

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 22
Back