Bandsaw behaving badly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the blade clearance when exiting a cut, could you work with a blade with increased kerf? this would give you more clearance.

One other thing, I've come across bandsaws having excessive front to back play in location of the wheels on the shaft, placing a suitable washer on the shaft behind or in front of the wheel has stopped the wheel from sliding along the shaft.
(fitting spacing washers does not alter or need shaft alignment changes) worth a check with blade released just in case.

CHJ":65skd2zs said:
On the blade clearance when exiting a cut, could you work with a blade with increased kerf? this would give you more clearance.

One other thing, I've come across bandsaws having excessive front to back play in location of the wheels on the shaft, placing a suitable washer on the shaft behind or in front of the wheel has stopped the wheel from sliding along the shaft.
(fitting spacing washers does not alter or need shaft alignment changes) worth a check with blade released just in case.
I could use a blade with wider kerf, hadn't thought of that. As it is, I've found the best way with the blade I have is to use a very light touch with just a couple of fingers on the piece, allowing the back of the blade to find its own way back through the cut. I'll stick with it for now, I only plan to make a few more of these things.
And I'll take another look at the wheels to see if there's any front to back play - I have tried but maybe worth another look. Thanks Chas.

Chris152":25sxtn3s said:
All seem tight Tom. It's working fine at the moment. One thing I've noticed is that as I pull the wood back through the cut (on the reindeer I'm making, lots of retracing through the cut line to start from another angle) I'm often pulling the blade forward, which can't help.....
On a complicated shape reversing out may be difficult to impossible, with any blade. The usual thing is to cut out and then cut back in - always going in same direction, never trying to reverse.
Tension sounds slack as well.
PS Complicated shapes - might help to do preliminary straight cuts in from the edge to the pattern, which you can reverse out of. Then when you get to it following the pattern, a piece drops out

Jacob":dmn87b0e said:
Chris152":dmn87b0e said:
All seem tight Tom. It's working fine at the moment. One thing I've noticed is that as I pull the wood back through the cut (on the reindeer I'm making, lots of retracing through the cut line to start from another angle) I'm often pulling the blade forward, which can't help.....
On a complicated shape reversing out may be difficult to impossible, with any blade. The usual thing is to cut out and then cut back in - always going in same direction, never trying to reverse.
Tension sounds slack as well.
PS Complicated shapes - might help to do preliminary straight cuts in from the edge to the pattern, which you can reverse out of. Then when you get to it following the pattern, a piece drops out
One of the problems with the reindeer I'm doing (Matthias's design) is that on the second set of cuts, you have to leave substantial parts of the excess attached by a little as the three layers are held together by nails driven through them - if you cut those sections out it falls apart and you lose the template. I accidentally did that on my first go thinking it'd be easier to remove sections cutting straight in from the side and ended up having to hold it together by hand. But general principles understood - thanks.

Sb - that guide looks brilliant but not worth it for now (80USD) - and I searched but couldn't find it in the UK. But it was good to watch, I'm upping my pace a little after that. :)

Chris, it was more about the reindeer than the guide. I suspect Jacob has never seen one before :roll: :roll: (hammer)
One member here (at least) bought the carter single wheel, but was not all that impressed with it.
I just might try a reindeer this year. :shock: :D

sunnybob":2bvc3kz2 said:
Chris, it was more about the reindeer than the guide. I suspect Jacob has never seen one before :roll: :roll: (hammer) ....
Had a look. Yep never seen one before!
But isn't a strategy to avoid backing out of a cut still worth looking at?

Back