Circular saw blades, Mitre saw blades, same thing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Evolution mitre saw that seems to have a slightly non-standard bore of 25.4mm and there doesn't seem to be many blades available for it. I was wondering if I could use a Freud table saw blade with a 30mm bore along with one of those Reducer ring things to get it to work on the Evolution saw.
Is there any specific differences between table saw blades and circular saw blades?
Has anyone used one of these reducer rings?

You should be fine with a bore reducer in a 30mm blade. What you need is a cross-cutting mitre saw blade, ripping circular saw blades will create a big mess cutting across the grain.

7rBb7.png

If you search for cross cut blade with 1" Inch bore you will get several hits. Such as this

It may be you would find more variety if you use 1" instead of 25.4 mm

Trevanion spot on as ever. Table saw blades can be dramatically dangerous in a mitre saw as with positive rake angle they will tend to drag the blade down into the wood at an alarming rate.

Reducers work fine, I use them literally all the time in my Wadkin table saw.

Be sure they are a little thinner than the saw blade though, or the blade clamp may not work! It won't be dangerous but the blade won't go round.

and to answer the specific question, circular saw blades and table saw blades have similar rakes (pulling the wood against the table of a table saw or the plate of a circular saw) and it is dangerous to use a mitre/radial saw blade in one of those. The mitre/radial saw blades push the work down into the table and it is dangerous to use a circular/table saw blade in one of those.

This is all obvious from Trevanion's reply and diagram, but better to point out the obvious than risk you getting a flying piece of wood in your face.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I ordered the 10" version of the Saxton blade as suggest by CHJ and it arrived yesterday. It's really very, very good. The cuts are super smooth and so effortless compared to the stock Evolution blade. The saw finally feels like a accurate instrument rather than something second rate!
Now all I have to do is to fix that lousy laser line alignment...!

HomeyJay":2ezhp4gc said:

I wouldn't bother to be honest, they're never that accurate and they're very easily knocked out of alignment again. Can't beat eyeing the blade up to a pencil mark.

Trevanion":1u599024 said:
HomeyJay":1u599024 said:

I wouldn't bother to be honest, they're never that accurate and they're very easily knocked out of alignment again. Can't beat eyeing the blade up to a pencil mark.

+1. Mine broke too and I never replaced it, now had forgotten I had it!

Latest posts

Back