chest of drawers WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried the cutting and splitting method. On the face of it it should be efficient but I don't think it is. Took some thought to find out why:
1. Chopping in to the wood at the back of the socket needs much more force for the same depth of cut, compared to chopping at the face, where the waste just falls away, as in photo
IMG_2920%20copy.JPG

2 Moving from chop to split is a change of position (there's a lot of these to do so that's a lot of changes)
3 Splitting somewhat unpredictable and untidy, needs more cleaning up.
So I'm happy with all chopping, no splitting, no saw cuts.
Not surprisng really - you get something similar with morticing. There's talk of chopping, splitting, levering, waste removal. But in fact most efficient is just to chop vertically, fast and furious but in little steps. The waste removes itself and nothing needs levering - except for the finishing details of a blind mortice. I've done alot of morticing by hand so I know this very well. DT sockets very similar so I'm back on familiar territory!

So in brief;
1 chopping out with a firmer chisel is fast and neat as long as you do it mortice chisel stile i.e. cross grain, each cut is a thin slice down the face of the previous cut. But you have to do a quick hone at frequent intervals, and quick polish on a strop. Has to be freehand- no messing about with tedious modern sharpening methods.
2 The beam hold-down speeds things up as it is very easy to use and you could even do a whole chest side with it in one sitting. Could also guide a router if set up carefully.
3 Sawing necessary for pin holes only - easy done freehand and then all marks taken from them.
4 Coping saw not necessary. I've always thought this was improbable anyway - I just couldn't imagine those horny-handed old chaps fiddling with a little coping saw when they have shiny chisels and massive mallets to hand. :lol:
5 Craft knife chisel is perfect for marking through pin holes. Thin enough to locate in saw kerf alone.
6 Theres a lot of work to be done so it has to be sustainable i.e. comfortable, repeatable, well lit, with as little fiddling about as possible. From a personal point of view I feel I've turned mass DT ing from a tedious slightly fraught task into something easy and relaxing!
PS Another afterthought - sawing sides of DT sockets seems pointless but I know from looking that it was extensively done. Maybe they sawed so precisely that the sides would not need any cleaning up, or maybe they did sockets first and the saw kerfs would be definitive? Another trial and error line of enquiry to follow!

Finished object.
I wanted some long drawers for turning chisels but turned it into a trad furniture making exercise. All the details are totally traditional and nearly all the wood is recycled (floor boards etc). Top was IKEA shelf lengths saved from firewood heap.
Turned out OK, a few hiccups, am now very confident about hand DTs which is the big issue. Turning improving too.
Big learning curve, mostly rubbish wood.
IMG_2956 copy.JPG
IMG_2961 copy.JPG
IMG_2960 copy.JPG
IMG_2959 copy.JPG
IMG_2958 copy.JPG
IMG_2957 copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2957 copy.JPG
    IMG_2957 copy.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2958 copy.JPG
    IMG_2958 copy.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2959 copy.JPG
    IMG_2959 copy.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2960 copy.JPG
    IMG_2960 copy.JPG
    549.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2961 copy.JPG
    IMG_2961 copy.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2956 copy.JPG
    IMG_2956 copy.JPG
    715.1 KB · Views: 342
WIP is very interesting, especially a few old methods. Thank for posting

Many thanks Jacob for posting this WIP. Very interesting to see how a mixture of very old and battered tools can produce such a nice piece of furniture.

John

John15":2px8b1y9 said:
Many thanks Jacob for posting this WIP. Very interesting to see how a mixture of very old and battered tools can produce such a nice piece of furniture.

John
Thanks for that but I wasn't aware that my tools looked old and battered - I thought they looked normal! :lol:
They certainly don't look new, but a few were new some years ago!
Do you mean that short firmer chisel? It's ideal for chopping out dovetail sockets. This is a very repetitive operation - there are a 100 or more in that little chest. A longer chisel means more movement, multiplied many times.
I doubt the newness of tools has ever improved anybodies woodwork, except when they fill a gap of course.
If anything, the opposite - old 2nd hand tools are often from the era when hand woodwork was a major part of the industry, not just a hobby, when people, including tool makers, knew what they were doing!
PS that reminds me - part of the reason for this project was to find out how it is possible to do lots of DTs easily with minimal tools. I now know! A combination of freehand (essential), work holding, sitting down, ergonomics etc).
Don't know if this was quite how they were done in the old days but I wouldn't be surprised.

Back