I bought a plank of Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan S":1893bttv said:
I could stare at pippy oaf for hours, for me its therapeutic, like the flames in a fire!

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
How about combining the two?

hurworth1967":166crjjl said:
Looks stunning, lovely work & a great tribute to your mum. If you don’t mind my asking, what finish did you use on it ?

Dan

Thank you very much, my dad was very happy with it as well and called it a fitting memorial to her.

The finish was around 8 - 10 very light coats of Osmo Polyx Oil in Satin finish. Initial coats were painted on with a brush and wiped off with a clean cloth. Later coats (3 onwards) were wiped on with a cloth as well. Gentle knock down with a worn 220 grit sanding pad between coats.

JimWoodwork1975":gvyq8lm9 said:
That is beautiful, well done. Can I ask, how did you cut the big circular curves?

Thank you.

Very carefully! :D

I did initial rough cuts with a jigsaw when I was doing the joinery. Once it was glued up I visited a friends workshop to use his large band saw and trimmed to within 2-3 mm of the final line. Definitely a two man job as it is heavy.

I then made a precise template out of 12mm mdf and used double sided tape to fasten it to the top of the piece and then used his spindle moulder to make the final cut. A router table would have worked fine but the finish is better on a spindle moulder and also his machine had a large support surface which helped with handling the piece

Thanks err.. '42'..

I'm a bit of an information sponge at the moment (guess I always will be really) as I'm a beginner. I don't even have proper workshop yet, I've just got 2 sheds (better than 1)! A 'Spindle Moulder' eh!? That's a new one on me. I'll read up on those - I'm doing some self study and a topic I'll be on soon is 'Woodworking Tools' so I'm sure that will come up.

JimWoodwork1975":14gz2tga said:
Thanks err.. '42'..

I'm a bit of an information sponge at the moment (guess I always will be really) as I'm a beginner. I don't even have proper workshop yet, I've just got 2 sheds (better than 1)! A 'Spindle Moulder' eh!? That's a new one on me. I'll read up on those - I'm doing some self study and a topic I'll be on soon is 'Woodworking Tools' so I'm sure that will come up.

A spindle moulder is is a router table on steroids really, much larger spinning bit with a lot more power. A pro workshop tool really as they are expensive. As I said before, the job would be fine with a decent router table which is what I would have used if I didn't know someone with one.

Good luck as you continue learning!

Back