How would you paint these ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the important bit is the primer, I think Teknos do a mdf sealer that is recomended by Medite it stops colour bleed though.

Please excuse my ignorance and disregard this if it is nonsense but could you not seal the parts with penetrating epoxy sealer before any other coating system is applied?

Chrispy":2wxtx87f said:
Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D

Well that makes all the difference, if it's as good as they say you don't even need to paint them!

Doug71":2ufk9yy6 said:
Chrispy":2ufk9yy6 said:
Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D

Well that makes all the difference, if it's as good as they say you don't even need to paint them!

I think Chief Designer might have something to say about that !

I've gone out to 'the market' and getting prices ranging from £3 -£8 each...but need to bottom out how many coats proposed. The £8 is three coats - wood primer to seal, another coat of primer the coat of top coat.

Chrispy":1dlrysh7 said:

Cool, big difference between the 2. :lol:

So I outsourced the spraying. I looked at a sample of MDF that they'd sprayed before. It was very good. Maybe they nicked it from another company because....

...because when I went to collect mine......the result is "ess aitch one tee"

Pointless complaining. The amount of rework (once the paint has fully hardened) is daunting and simply won't happen. Just too much else to do. No funds available to have them recut and then sprayed by a company that knows what they are doing. Spraying beyond my skill set or inclination.

So I think a visit to the local tip is beckoning.

:shock:

How can anyone in their right mind call that acceptable? I would definitely complain if nothing else to get your money back. That is simply horrendous workmanship.

The gaffer wasn't there yesterday when I collected them. I did pay for them as I really didn't think that I'd be able to take them away with me without doing so.

I emailed him this morning and this is the reply from the company..

After speaking with the lads the report is that the raw material was bitty and could have probably done with being sanded fully to give a smooth surface ready for paint.

No s**t, Sherlock. I would have thought that any company allegedly spraying MDF would be aware that the primer coat needed denibbing.

The only thing I can suggest is if you do go for starting again, we aren't joiners but we will sand smooth prepare, prime and coat each one singularly laying flat face by face rather than hanging on our usual racks. We would of course do this free of charge.

A constructive reply but I would have thought that they'd then run the risk of runs down the sides and pooling. But I wonder just how long I'd be waiting.

I would also suggest if we were doing this again that a paint colour was used that is available in aerosol as our equipment is over powered to do such small items.

Then why did they do it like that in the first place ?

That's the worst spraying I've ever seen................. i've seen some rubbish as well..........

RogerS":1rtuv8qv said:
doctor Bob":1rtuv8qv said:
That's the worst spraying I've ever seen................. i've seen some rubbish as well..........

Would you take them up on their offer to redo ?

What do the rest of you think ?

No, they haven't a clue. Seriously the answers they gave you are just BS. A proffessional sprayer wanting to finish them with an aerosol, no way............

Jesus christ that's horrendous!!!!!!! When I've brush painted ally primer on tricoya I have found a layer of almost sawdust start gathering on the surface. It's only ever the first coat though. I'm new to spraying and am making it up as I go along but I've never had anything like that- my worst thing so far was overthinning causing a few runs.
I think I would throw a wobbler at them, I would be fuming

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It looks like theyve poured salad cream over them. Have you tried licking it lol

You need to be getting a refund for the spraying and as a matter of principle try and recoup the cost of sanding them back to an acceptable finish. Out of interest what paint did they use ?

pollyfilla ready mix y the looks of it. Definately look at claiming from them and let them know you will be contacting trading standards Roger

"Our equipment is too powerful" What kind of joke is that? Every piece of spraying equipment is adjustable down to nowt for god's sake. As Bob said, I've never seen such bad spraying especially on something as fool-proof as wood spraying, and I've spent my whole life around car spraying and you do see some real bad aerosol work there but this really is the worst I think I've seen. I would understand if they were hanging the rings from wire as the air coming out of the gun would be spinning them around like ballerinas making it very difficult, but the build-up around the edges seems to suggest they were painted flat.

I suppose there's no harm in letting them try again in the hopes that they do a better job since you're really going to bin them anyway, just make sure to say if they're the same again you won't be paying for them. Also, tell them to sack whoever did the painting as no true professional would just let that go out to a customer in such as state.

Trevanion":1i0q0vba said:
.. I would understand if they were hanging the rings from wire as the air coming out of the gun would be spinning them around like ballerinas making it very difficult, .....

That's how they did it. Five hanging vertically underneath each other.

I have sense that they guy undercharges on stuff just to get the business.

I think I will hang fire and wait for the paint to harden and then see what sort of result I can get with some judicious sanding. I do have my linisher and if I stick a fine belt on that might be effective. Then decide what to do.

RogerS":2j5p82s0 said:
That's how they did it. Five hanging vertically underneath each other.

That doesn't make any sense at all, If he were actually a professional he'd know trying to do it that way would be absolutely pointless with a HVLP gun. And even then, if these people are supposed to specialize in MDF painting you'd think they'd have an air-assisted paint pump like a Graco or Kremlin for jobs like that since they don't blow around the work when it's hanging so much, plus the finish is much better with the thicker paints using a paint pump.

tenor.gif