Re-coating Polyx oil worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siggy_7

Full time tool collector, part time woodworker
Reaction score
My kitchen worktops were finished with several coats of Osmo Polyx when they were installed just under a year ago. Inevitably, despite best efforts they are at the stage where some maintenance to the finish would be helpful (the odd scratch and minor blemish) - my theory being it's better to regularly maintain the finish than let it deteriorate to the point where it needs stripping back and starting again. Can anyone offer experience or advice with this - what solvent if any helps with cleaning before applying the finish, any need to key in the existing surface, how to blend in scratches without sanding right back and leaving obvious signs of repair where the ageing is then different etc.

I'd try just wiping on another coat before doing too much to it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think I would give it a quick wipe over with some 320 to knock any roughness or minor surface imperfections down before removing the dust with a wipe of meths or white spirit and then giving it another coat.

There is loads of information available on the Osmo site including how to repair an existing finish.

Finally got around to trying this. Short answer is Polyx seems to be too impermeable to overlay a refurbishment coat on to. Tried roughening up the surface beforehand with scotchbrite to no avail, had to strip the residue with meths. Second attempt still left a residue. The next time it needs attention I think it's going to have to go back to bare wood and replaced with top oil or similar. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the product, particularly as it comes so highly recommended by many.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back