Modifying cast iron table saw top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowgli

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this isn't the correct sub-forum.

I am contemplating incorporating my Charnwood W619 table saw into a larger workbench, and would like to extend the mitre slots of the table into T tracks in the workbench. The saw has 15x7 slots, with a 19mm wide T section. I've not been able to find any T track extrusions of these dimensions; only the more common 19x9.5mm sections e.g. from UJK.

I am wondering about getting the cast iron top of the saw milled out to the larger size. It looks like there ought to be enough material to do this, but I can't be sure exactly how thin it will be afterwards.

Has anyone done this, or paid a machine shop to do it? I'd be interested to hear about the result and approximate cost.

Thanks!

So I can use the same mitre slot tools, fences and sleds on the table saw and the rest of the workbench, rather than having one set for the 15mm slots and another for the 19mm slots.

I see.
I think your best bet would be to make the T-slots in your bench. Rout a slot, rebate it, fill in over the rebate and finally rout out the opening. Not quite as robust as proper t-track, perhaps, but could be a solution.

you could rout the cast iron but i dont no how easy or dangerous it is might be worth asking the metal workers heres a utube of someone using a router on cast iron for some reason i cant post utube links says i dont have permission

[youtube]xxQO6hILZLY[/youtube]

Not sure where you'd get a speed controller like that but I'm pretty sure all that does is lower the current to the machine so that it spins slower with less power. I guess very small, slow fed cuts are the key to milling it with a router, also safety specs and mask are definitely needed as when cast iron machines it comes off more like very dirty, high-velocity dust rather than shavings like aluminium or steel.

Hmm, not sure if I fancy doing it with a router really! I need to ask around some local machining shops to get an idea of cost.
Cheers,

Mowgli":1lj010jm said:
Hmm, not sure if I fancy doing it with a router really! I need to ask around some local machining shops to get an idea of cost.
Cheers,

Most I know around here are £50 an hour, £100 for the first hour and a minimum 1-hour charge. That's in the lowest wage area in the country as well, most probably a lot more elsewhere. A hobbyist probably couldn't do it either as it's such a large workpiece, you'd probably just about do it on a Bridgeport mill with massive overhang off the table.

Take the simplest option.
Get the engineering shop to make/adapt some T track to match.
Or That’s something you can do in aluminium with a router!

Back