Home made tomato soup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit late to this one, having been on my hols 8)
But i have to call "point of order" on the first post.
Tomato soup? yes.
Tomato soup with carrot, celery, garlic and onion? C'mon, thats vegetable soup that is :roll:

pea and ham.... mmmmmmmm.
But does anyone have an OLD recipe (like 150 years old). My Nan , who was in service in a large house at the time General Custer was still calling those apaches ignorant savages, made that stuff like I have never tasted in over 50 years. She allegedly told my mum the recipe, but mum never once managed to get close, so there was obviously a secret ingredient that nan kept to herself.
You could stand a spoon up in it and it would take ages to fall sideways.
This was a London house, so no northern rubbish please :D :D :D =D> =D>

sunnybob":y8oyaxry said:
I'm a bit late to this one, having been on my hols 8)
But i have to call "point of order" on the first post.
Tomato soup? yes.
Tomato soup with carrot, celery, garlic and onion? C'mon, thats vegetable soup that is :roll:

pea and ham.... mmmmmmmm.
But does anyone have an OLD recipe (like 150 years old). My Nan , who was in service in a large house at the time General Custer was still calling those apaches ignorant savages, made that stuff like I have never tasted in over 50 years. She allegedly told my mum the recipe, but mum never once managed to get close, so there was obviously a secret ingredient that nan kept to herself.
You could stand a spoon up in it and it would take ages to fall sideways.
This was a London house, so no northern rubbish please :D :D :D =D> =D>

Seriously Bob give the tomato (veggie) soup a try and I will wager you say that it tastes like a great Tomato soup.

The secret ingredient in the pea and ham soup is definitely using a ham hock. (or it is in this house :D )

Dibs-h":3vc58pxt said:
Made some yesterday - exactly as Garno's recipe stated. With 1 minor exceptions: a regular pressure cooker.

Added about 100ml of extra water as the instruction for the pressure cooker stated that it needs "extra" water\fluid in order to effectively build up the pressure. After putting everything in, closed the lid, set it on the higher setting, turned up the heat to full, when it started whistling, turned the heat right down till the whistling was almost negligible and left it on for about 15mins.

Released the pressure and used an electric hand blender to blend it all.

Mrs & daughter ate a whole bowl each (and Mrs had another one for lunch today). She liked it so much she said "now that you've mastered making soup - I fancy some tomato and pepper soup at work for lunch on Monday. So can you make some on Sunday evening." :shock: :lol: :lol:

I had some too - spot on!

Freezing\thawing - won't last more than 24hrs in our house, so freezing ain't gonna happen. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it's a big favourite in our household :D

I can recommend the "Soup for Every Day" book. Literally 365 soups, one for each day of the year.

p.s. send more bread.

treeturner123":h46puphj said:
Rorschach

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Also Curried Parsnip one of my favorites

Phil

With you all the way on that one.

For me fresh peas are best in pea and mint soup.

Just thought I'd add my favourite soup recipe as it's very seasonal. It's a slow cooker and best enjoyed ice cold after a long but lazy preparation process.
Take about 6 kilos of sloes. Freeze. Add to bottles. Add sugar. Add gin.
Give it a year.
Best soup ever. Also one of your five a day. Beat that Heinz.

I make soup especially vegetable with just about anything. Some stock, an onion, a potato, maybe a clove of garlic and a selection of any vegetables you can get hold of. 20 minutes and a blitz and you are done.

This weekend I made Pea, Courgette and Leek. Had a few courgettes from the garden that went unnoticed and grew to marrow like proportions, still have better flavour than a marrow though.

Leeks added flavour, peas added some colour. Bit of onion and celery as they needed using up and a few potatoes for body.
I didn't peel the courgette so passed the soup through a sieve to improve the texture and flavour.

Rorschach":2f1ha9z3 said:
This weekend I made Pea, Courgette and Leek. Had a few courgettes from the garden that went unnoticed and grew to marrow like proportions, still have better flavour than a marrow though.

Leeks added flavour, peas added some colour. Bit of onion and celery as they needed using up and a few potatoes for body.
I didn't peel the courgette so passed the soup through a sieve to improve the texture and flavour.

Sounds nice. :D

Did you blend it or just sieve it?

Garno":1zgrhcub said:
Rorschach":1zgrhcub said:

Sounds nice. :D

Did you blend it or just sieve it?

Blended with the trusty stick blender and then sieved. On this size batch I reckon we lost about 2 portions from sieving it but the texture is so much nicer and the flavour is greatly improved as well.

Suffolkboy":1esu14br said:
I'm tight as a ducks butt. I'd have eaten the two portions out of the sieve first so it didn't go to waste.

Good roughage that.

I would of blended them into the soup. Living next door to Yorkshire is rubbing off on me :D

Back