Oops! Tensioner come loose on Aldi/Scheppach machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimmitt

Reaction score
Hello!

First timer poster and absolute newbie here - any help/advice extremely gratefully received.

Picked up a basically new Aldi Workzone machine on eBay last week, and after carefully reading setup and instructions got started with the cow attached.

Decided to experiment with some angle tilt cuts, and about halfway through there's a big clunk and all tension is lost in the blade.
The tensioning mechanism has come loose between the quick release rod and where it should attach to pull up on the bottom tension jaw (piece 9 in the schematic attached).

It feels like it should be a simple fix, but there doesn't seem a way of getting access to it, and I can't get the casing off to have a proper look (though might just be being thick about this).

Any thoughts? Have I completely gubbed my new toy already?

Attachments

• IMG-20190904-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20190904-WA0006.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20190908_165722~2.jpg
    IMG_20190908_165722~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 557
  • Screenshot_20190909-114837~2.png
    Screenshot_20190909-114837~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 558
This machine is basically a Scheppach rebadged as a Workzone

I have one of these but its been a while since I took it apart

If I remember rightly, you need to loosen the bolts/nuts under the cast base to release the side panel to gain access

Unless the lower arm has broken or the rod assembly, you should not have a great problem

I don't suppose you got a receipt with it did you? or can get one from the seller, these machines are warranted for three years, and they do not usually quibble as they just get the money back off the supplier

The lower V block is held by a plate under and the same on the top

If the arm casting is broken, and you can't get a receipt or its over three years, I suspect you have a selection of parts on your hands :-(

They are quite robust machines usually

If the rod assembly has come apart (unusual as its stronger than the lower arm) you could modify a cycle axle quick release, I did the same on a Hegner and it worked well, I have yet to do mine as its a spare machine

Thanks for all 3 of those replies - very helpful.

I was being a bit thick about getting the cover off - your memory was right about the bolts on the cast base.

Now exposed, easy diagnosis that the V block on bottom split off the thread.

Warranty perhaps an option - failing that, any recommendations on how to get a replacement V block?

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_214735.jpg
    IMG_20190909_214735.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 489
Warranty apart, if you could get your hands on any of a multitude of this type of machine its likely to have the same tensioner assembly

But people don't tend to advertise knackered machines they scrap them usually

I very much doubt you would be able to buy the V block on its own

On the mod I did on the Hegner I used a cycle axle (Skewer) with quick release, I used sections of the iron bar from a door handle for the "V" part (as I didn't want to destroy the original pension rod assembly)

I looked at my Scheppach earlier without disassembling it, I gauged the tension rod to be about 8" or 200mm

The longest skewer for a rear axle I found was 175mm so that idea may be out the window , as you have it apart what length is the rod itself ?

Failing a second hand part or a cycle axle, I would try aralditing the V back together, and araldite it to a piece of flat metal (say 3 or 4mm thick) of the right proportions, drill the flat metal and tap it for the rods thread as the flat metal would be taking the strain as it were the V would act just as a rocker

The difference being with the Workzone type is its got a casing so the rod needs to be longer

Have you had any success with this ?? I may have what you need, I will have a look in the shed tomorrow morning. I have various bits and pieces given to me by various members so will have a look in the morning.
Sorry I am a bit late in replying but this is the first time this week I have had a minute.

Don W

Thanks for all the help!

Haven't yet sourced the bit - also struggling for time myself this week.
Shall update properly once I've tried something!

Hi , I had a look this morning with no luck. I have one of those cycle quick release shafts, it is 160mm long with a 5 mm thread at the end.
Sorry I can't help.
Don W

akimmitt":2mz0so9u said:
Thanks for all the help!

Haven't yet sourced the bit - also struggling for time myself this week.
Shall update properly once I've tried something!

Did you measure the length of the rod?

If so how long was it

donwatson":30ark04s said:
Hi , I had a look this morning with no luck. I have one of those cycle quick release shafts, it is 160mm long with a 5 mm thread at the end.
Sorry I can't help.
Don W
Is this what you need ?

Back