Broadband internet provider recomendation provider.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon_M":1c2m0qhq said:
Rorschach":1c2m0qhq said:
AndyT":1c2m0qhq said:
changing your email address with companies is easy.
I have never seen the "attraction" for having a internet provider email address. Far easier to signup with someone else e.g. I have a gmail address. Can buy internet from anyone in the future without needing to tell anyone.

I have my own domain now. So when Google goes t's up and all those Gmail addresses die .....:wink:

I also have a domain address, but don't run a POP3 mail system. Gmail also provides a means to receive mail using your domain email address using the gmail mail client.

Simon_M":3h7ifflv said:
I also have a domain address, but don't run a POP3 mail system. Gmail also provides a means to receive mail using your domain email address using the gmail mail client.

POP is to receive and SMTP is to send - you need both.

Sorry couldn't help myself. :lol:

You did get me wondering tho as I knew you could tie a domain to Google's GSuite or whatever it's now called but that costs.

So a quick read up on how it's done with gmail - only downside (sometimes) appears to be you're receiving mail sent to your domain but sending in reality as a gmail account. That's what the headers might show. Might get trapped by spam filters due to the mismatch between sent from and reply to elements of the email headers. More and more firms appear to be using them.

But zero cost.

Sorry for the techno babble digression. :oops: :lol:

heronviewer":1hi56bkx said:
Nobody has mentioned Plusnet. Usually good reviews and call centre in Yorkshire.
I'm too far from the connecting box to get fibre and am on ADSL+2. £13.99 a month and no download limits. I normally get 2.3Mb/s down and 0.3Mb/s down. Perfectly OK for youtube videos and BBC programmes but I don't bother with films.

I like the details on web of that one, but I would have to use a landline and at the present time I only have the fibre connection with Virgin, so will telephone plus net later to see what they offer regarding landline connection. You can claim me as a reference bonus if there is one?

DW - That's 13.49 but you already need to have line rental in place with someone else.

Or 19.50 all in, from them.

It might have been mentioned (not sure), you could always ring Virgin, either get put thru to cancellations and "haggle"a discount. Or actually cancel giving the 30 days notice.

99.9% sure you'll get a call back offering you a cheaper fixed term deal.

All sorted .
back with Virgin at £34 50mbs and unlimited telecalls 24/7.
I had to use my most demanding voice

Thanks all, you all drove me to it

devonwoody":k0gtzjti said:
All sorted .
back with Virgin at £34 50mbs and unlimited telecalls 24/7.
I had to use my most demanding voice

Thanks all, you all drove me to it

Glad you got it sorted! :D

Might be worth keeping an eye out for the anniversary date, just in case it's a fixed term deal\discount they've given you. :wink:

Just an update....

Sept 24th we had Vodafone put in a 'replacement' socket in the lounge (it needs to be near a power supply to plug the router in to, which wasn't available in the hall) and a temporary landline number was issued. Landline worked as did the broadband =D>

October 3rd, old landline number was ported over to new Vodafone line =D>

This morning (end of the 30 days notice period with Virgin) the broadband and tv have ceased working, and we are now fully on Vodafone service =D>

PC was/is connected via an ethernet cable
Broadband speed with Virgin was cica 100mbs download / 10mbs upload
Broadband speed with Vodafone is circa 73mbs download / 20mbs upload
wifi on ipad/iphone was/is circa 40mbs download / 20-25mbs upload
(all tests via the Ookla app/website)

Am now awaiting a credit for unused monies to come back from Virgin.
So far we're very pleased with the service.

Only 'complaint' now is.... she cant record up to 3 channel at the same time, or pause rewind live tv etc. We have an old Humax freesat box which used to be upstairs so can use this if needed.

I'm able to plug in a USB stick into the tv and record programs. Haven't tried it yet, but i think it will only record what you're watching (why..??) or record a program/channel if the tv is switched off.

But... as we have a tv that can receive both Freeview and Freesat channels, is there a PVR recorder out there that can record more than one channel at a time that can be recommended.?

Nick

My latest Humax does 3 or 4 channels but only 100 hours the old one did 10 times as much? but is good for channels on the web

Back