Home made tomato soup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Just finished making my first ever batch of tomato soup.
Did it in an electric pressure cooker and have to say it beats any tinned soup hands down.

Here is enough for 4 bowls.
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2lb Tomatoes quartered
2 Large carrots chopped
2 Stalks of celery chopped
1 Large onion chopped
6 Garlic cloves rough cut
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
110ml Vegetable stock (1 measuring cup)

METHOD

1, Fry the Tomatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion, and Garlic for 3 minutes whilst continuously stirring.
2, Add the rest of the ingredients.
3, Pressure cook on the soup setting for 15 minutes.
4, Allow to rest for a further 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
5, Undo lid and blend with hand blender or larger electric blender until contents nice and smooth.
6, Serve into bowls, add salt and pepper to taste.
7, Serve with some freshly made warm bread rolls and some butter.
8, Enjoy the best tomato soup you have ever tasted.

Cheers! Sounds nice. I am partial to a nice tomato soup.

Is it suitable for freezing? Asking only as I've never made soup and can see not wanting it for a few days on the trot. :lol:

Dibs-h":38vyt2ep said:

Is it suitable for freezing? Asking only as I've never made soup and can see not wanting it for a few days on the trot. :lol:

That's the beauty with this recipe, great for freezing.

We have just put some in the freezer :D

Dibs-h":1iprf5i7 said:

What do you mean by 'on the trot' Dibs? :lol:

John :D

Sounds good.

In the winter I make a lot of soup for my partner to take to work. Every weekend I make a different soup of at least 8 portions. I start just before the weather gets cold. They all go in the freezer and she can have a different flavour of soup every day of the week if she wants.

Dibs-h":286gkiya said:
I know it's a tomato soup thread but that shouldn't put anyone posting up their recipes for other soups. :wink: :D

You seem to have a bit of a food fixation a the moment - that usually happens to me when I am dieting.

?

Rorschach":3vwjlde9 said:
Sounds good.

In the winter I make a lot of soup for my partner to take to work. Every weekend I make a different soup of at least 8 portions. I start just before the weather gets cold. They all go in the freezer and she can have a different flavour of soup every day of the week if she wants.

I will be looking for more recipes for soups cooked in a pressure cooker.
I know I started the thread and will be a little biased, but the tomato soup really is very tasty, I will go as far as saying it is the best one I've ever had. :D

Trainee neophyte":2hmdezg1 said:
You seem to have a bit of a food fixation a the moment - that usually happens to me when I am dieting.

?

Lol..it might come across that way but I can assure you it's not. Maybe just coincidence. =P~ :lol: :lol:

Dibs-h":3uyufur0 said:
I know it's a tomato soup thread but that shouldn't put anyone posting up their recipes for other soups. :wink: :D

I know what you mean :D :D :D

Fully agree, I would love to see a few more tried and tested recipes for soup.

Garno":4hxgjn1a said:
Rorschach":4hxgjn1a said:
Sounds good.

I will be looking for more recipes for soups cooked in a pressure cooker.
I know I started the thread and will be a little biased, but the tomato soup really is very tasty, I will go as far as saying it is the best one I've ever had. :D

I tend to make soups based on whatever ingredients are on offer/reduced or just in season and cheap.
So most weeks that involves a selection of vegetables and a carbohydrate component such as lentils, potatoes, rice or beans.
If it's potatoes, lentils or rice then I will blend the soup smooth, if it's beans it will stay as a broth type soup. Sometimes I will keep it as a slightly thinner broth type soup and the missus will add some noodles for bulk.
I add various spices to get different flavours, curried, chinese, mexican etc.

Some favourites:

Carrot and Squash (good after halloween when pumpkins are cheap)
Sweetcorn soup
Pea and Ham (I will boil a gammon for stock/meat and use frozen peas not dried for a lovely colour and fresh flavour)
Chunky tomato, bean and chorizo
Chicken and mushroom noodle soup
Curried lentil and veg

Rorschach

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Also Curried Parsnip one of my favorites

Phil

Take anything you fancy, boil it in a stock then blend it with a blender. Add some cream if you want :)

treeturner123":7uhj4xs2 said:
Rorschach

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Phil

Nothing wrong with that if it's your preference but I know some people who don't like traditional ham and pea but do enjoy it made with "fresh" peas.

thanks for mentioning parnsip, Parnsip and apple is a family favourite.

treeturner123":1ppl0r1b said:
Rorschach

Phil

I've always made like that as well but I use a ham hock soaked overnight, then put on a slow simmer until the ham falls off the bone and stir in.

Mind you that was in the days when a ham hock cost mere pence :D :D :D

Made some yesterday - exactly as Garno's recipe stated. With 1 minor exceptions: a regular pressure cooker.

Added about 100ml of extra water as the instruction for the pressure cooker stated that it needs "extra" water\fluid in order to effectively build up the pressure. After putting everything in, closed the lid, set it on the higher setting, turned up the heat to full, when it started whistling, turned the heat right down till the whistling was almost negligible and left it on for about 15mins.

Released the pressure and used an electric hand blender to blend it all.

Mrs & daughter ate a whole bowl each (and Mrs had another one for lunch today). She liked it so much she said "now that you've mastered making soup - I fancy some tomato and pepper soup at work for lunch on Monday. So can you make some on Sunday evening." :shock: :lol: :lol:

I had some too - spot on!

Freezing\thawing - won't last more than 24hrs in our house, so freezing ain't gonna happen. :lol:

Latest posts

Back