Breadmaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call then crusts as well but my missus lived near Brighton for a few years. :)

French looks ok to me John but my mediocre O level was a hell of a long time ago. :roll:

Benchwayze":1afw05qt said:
So chaoticbob! The French sticks I get from my local Nisa store aren't authentic?
They taste just the same as the ones I bought in France last time I was there. Yum!

I know they aren't made in France, but they are delicious, and if one doesn't get there before the kids go to school; well go without old chap! :lol:

There is a guy on the 'tube who makes French style baguettes, and it takes a long time. According to the comments they taste fine. Just as an Arbroath Smokey would if you use the right species, and adopt the proper technique in the next town along!
Now I am going to find out how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg!

John 8)

Not disputing the authenticity/deliciousness of your local Nisa sticks John, just that I haven't had a similarly satisfying experience in my neck of the woods however early I got up - maybe I should move back to Brum! Looks like it can be done with a breadmaking machine though which is good to hear. With apologies for veering slightly off topic do you still get Lardy Buns down there ?

Hard boiled eggs - don't get me started with what's passed off as an 'ard boiled egg oop 'ere.
Robin.

I am originally from the Black Country (At least 24 hours - and probably longer) and the crust (for me) is a crucial part of "our" loaf. It makes the whole loaf last longer (Time's hard and money is short) and the "ends" are as important as any of the "sides". For our daily crust...

When you make a lot, you quickly make another... so the bread slicers that also store the bread are not as useful as you think. If you have a second or a third loaf - how will they cope?

A table saw is pretty decent for chopping up wood so that (eventually) it can be for firewood (or left unfinished). A chop saw and a bandsaw have their uses too. So (for me) you have to cut bread on a table saw (with a sliding and/or mitre too) from Kenwood etc.. An electric carving knife (nice to have) is (to me) like a make-do-tool or jigsaw vs a bandsaw - it works but I can't quite get to love it (like my bandsaw).

Perhaps illogical, but bread should be served with a face side, a face edge - and a smile. If you can (perhaps) "smuggle" a meat slicer into your house then your slicing "woes" are soon answered. I can't help being reminded that an electric carving knife was "introduced" in Surbiton circa 1980 (by posh people, the Good Life etc.) but the table saw is at least a century older. My slicer aka a meat slicer works perfectly for bread too.

Benchwayze":219satpo said:
As a type 2 diabetic I am not supposed to eat too much starch. I realise bread is fattening, so I just take it easy, but the metformin I take daily helps process the starch and insulin excess, so it's a case of sense and sensibility!

I am losing weight without too much trouble, so at my age I don't sweat it! Agree about the frozen bread, but it's still whacks store bought!

The pickled cucumber is best in white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. Leave up to a few days in glass in the 'fridge. You can add chopped scallions, sliced peppers, red onions and sling in a few peppercorns too.

Put it this way, I am looking forward to getting home so I can get in my kitchen again!

John :D

Just in case you didn't know, lots of people are reportedly completely curing their type 2 diabetes by fasting. https://www.dietdoctor.com/book-change- ... jason-fung

You can get it as an ebook (I have a copy, - if you can't find it pm with email and I will sort you out), but as this is the internet, and I have no knowledge of you or your health, I wouldn't like to presume that this will be the answer for you personally. YMMV, as they say.

Lons":2354q5io said:
We call then crusts as well but my missus lived near Brighton for a few years. :)

French looks ok to me John but my mediocre O level was a hell of a long time ago. :roll:

I think it's me at fault Bob. I could have sworn you lived in France. Usually ex-pats speak the lingo of where they are; not that it's a requirement of course. That's why I have no inclination to live in China. I'd never master it!

John

chaoticbob":zih19brw said:
Benchwayze":zih19brw said:
So chaoticbob! The French sticks I get from my local Nisa store aren't authentic?
They taste just the same as the ones I bought in France last time I was there. Yum!

I know they aren't made in France, but they are delicious, and if one doesn't get there before the kids go to school; well go without old chap! :lol:

There is a guy on the 'tube who makes French style baguettes, and it takes a long time. According to the comments they taste fine. Just as an Arbroath Smokey would if you use the right species, and adopt the proper technique in the next town along!
Now I am going to find out how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg!

John 8)

Not disputing the authenticity/deliciousness of your local Nisa sticks John, just that I haven't had a similarly satisfying experience in my neck of the woods however early I got up - maybe I should move back to Brum! Looks like it can be done with a breadmaking machine though which is good to hear. With apologies for veering slightly off topic do you still get Lardy Buns down there ?

Hard boiled eggs - don't get me started with what's passed off as an 'ard boiled egg oop 'ere.
Robin.
Robin,

As far as I am aware, Lardy Cakes are available still. Usually found in places like Greggs (Once known as Braggs). Not so much in Asda and the like. There's a Braggs shop pretty local to me, at the Kingstanding Circle, but I haven't been there for an age. My wife used to make them herself, but much as I enjoy them, I don't eat them regularly; as a type 2, I shouldn't even eat bread because of the starch! But yes, I should imagine Braggs sell Lardies.
Cheers

John

Trainee neophyte":whgm9cm1 said:
Benchwayze":whgm9cm1 said:
As a type 2 diabetic I am not supposed to eat too much starch. I realise bread is fattening, so I just take it easy, but the metformin I take daily helps process the starch and insulin excess, so it's a case of sense and sensibility!

I am losing weight without too much trouble, so at my age I don't sweat it! Agree about the frozen bread, but it's still whacks store bought!

The pickled cucumber is best in white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. Leave up to a few days in glass in the 'fridge. You can add chopped scallions, sliced peppers, red onions and sling in a few peppercorns too.

Put it this way, I am looking forward to getting home so I can get in my kitchen again!

Just in case you didn't know, lots of people are reportedly completely curing their type 2 diabetes by fasting. https://www.dietdoctor.com/book-change- ... jason-fung

You can get it as an ebook (I have a copy, - if you can't find it pm with email and I will sort you out), but as this is the internet, and I have no knowledge of you or your health, I wouldn't like to presume that this will be the answer for you personally. YMMV, as they say.

Thanks for that Trainee
But Dr Mosely gets up my back, (He works for the Beeb, and I have disconnected my aerial so I can stay licence free.
bb
I don't fast but am doing well on low carb. The Government should come clean, but they won't because they would have to admit they've been talking rowlocks, and are afeared they might get sued maybe!

Also Katie Hopkins could keep Mum where her opinion on obesity is concerned. My pet theory is simple. Obesity doesn't cause Type 2; it's the other way around, and obesity is just another sign that type 2 is developing secretly, :twisted:

Back to thread. I eat only my homemade bread now, and not too much of that because of the starch!

I didn't notice your offer immediately TN. That's good of you, but I have seen a fair bit on the tube about fasting, and I don't think it's for me. As I said, I do well on low carb and I am able to stick with it, being an avid carnivore! I love meat and fish and I might look into my DNA one of these days, and find out from whence I get this trait.

ZippityNZ":1j4hqdib said:
Always substitute butter with olive oil if your recipe calls for it :)

Why Zippity?

If my bread maker squeaked, I might oil it! That's what olive oil tastes like to me-- 3 in 1 oil!!!

Benchwayze":16ljbf80 said:
Trainee neophyte":16ljbf80 said:
Benchwayze":16ljbf80 said:

Thanks for that Trainee
But Dr Mosely gets up my back, (He works for the Beeb, and I have disconnected my aerial so I can stay licence free.
bb
I don't fast but an doing well on low carb. The Government should come clean, but they won't because they would have to admit they've been talking rowlocks, and are afeared they might get sued maybe! And Katie Hopkins could keep Mum where her opinion an obesity is concerned. My pet theory is simple. Obesity doesn't cause Type 2; it's the other way around, and obesity is just another sign that type 2 is developing secretly, :twisted:

Back to thread. I eat only my homemade bread now, and not too much of that because of the starch![/quote]

Forget Mosley, I more than understand - he sort of got the answer, but I don't know if he has connected the dots. Type 2 is caused by an excess of insulin in the body - you become used to it, and it has less effect. Insulin resistance is the new buzzword. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiSCEBGxXk

The thing is, if you could make a few changes to your lifestyle, you could then eat whatever you want, with no need to worry, and not live in fear of eventually losing limbs etc.

I'm now off to cook bacon carbonara for lunch - no more unsolicited advice from me :D

Edit: I have done something stupid wth the nested quotes - hope you can still follow it. (homer)

Trainee neophyte":2fx1dmj6 said:
Benchwayze":2fx1dmj6 said:
Trainee neophyte":2fx1dmj6 said:
but as this is the internet, and I have no knowledge of you or your health, I wouldn't like to presume that this will be the answer for you personally. YMMV, as they say.

Forget Mosley, I more than understand - he sort of got the answer, but I don't know if he has connected the dots. Type 2 is caused by an excess of insulin in the body - you become used to it, and it has less effect. Insulin resistance is the new buzzword. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiSCEBGxXk

The thing is, if you could make a few changes to your lifestyle, you could then eat whatever you want, with no need to worry, and not live in fear of eventually losing limbs etc.

I'm now off to cook bacon carbonara for lunch - no more unsolicited advice from me :D

I am all ears ref changes to lifestyle. (once I can walk properly again) So by all means enlighten me. And point me to a carbonara recipe? :D

John :)

Benchwayze":2ymglijk said:
ZippityNZ":2ymglijk said:

Why Zippity?

If my bread maker squeaked, I might oil it! That's what olive oil tastes like to me-- 3 in 1 oil!!!

The final product just comes out better. Use a decent olive oil 8)

Carbonara, serves 4
25gms butter
100gms pancetta
one clove garlic
350gms spaghetti
two eggs, beaten
40gms each of Parmesan and Peccorino, grated
salt and pepper
Melt butter, cook the pancetta and garlic until garlic browns then throw the garlic away. Cook the spaghetti in salted water and add it to the pancetta. Take off heat, add the eggs, pepper and half the cheese and mix well. Add the rest of the cheese and mix again.

That's from Silver Spoon - the best Italian cookery book. :D

ZippityNZ":2w1ak8y9 said:
Benchwayze":2w1ak8y9 said:
ZippityNZ":2w1ak8y9 said:

Why Zippity?

The final product just comes out better. Use a decent olive oil 8)

Okay Zippity! I thought you were anti-butter for a moment! But I really find olive oil does taste like a lubricant. (And I have tasted lubricating oil in the past; not from choice of course!) I'm assuming that you can't taste it in bread of course.

Back