Domestic Vacuum Cleaners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear All

Thanks for all the advice. Went into PC World last night to see how the Dyson and Shark were in the flesh and in the hand. The shark was lighter and seemed much more manoeuvrable so I think we will be going with that one.

Will let you know how good it is after a few days of use!

Phil

Which shark are you going for? Been looking at these but wondering what are they like at doing stairs.

We also have the Shark and fully recommend them.

Not sure what they are like on stairs due to us living in a ground floor flat.

Sorry :(

Our Shark, think it's the duo clean, came with an additional small rotating brush attachment.

Which is perfect for both stairs and car duties.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There's an offer on this weekend. £350 for the ic160ukt which is the cordless duo with pet and also car attachment.
Quite tempted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The last time I read a vacuum cleaner “Best Buy” review it concluded either Henry or Miele. One is simple, light, and cheap. The other well designed, not too heavy, and built to last. We use both. One for rough stuff, and one for the house.

Another one for the Sebo,we've had one for years with no problems,previous one was Dyson and a complete waste of money,forever giving problems.

Hi All

Thanks for all who replied. After a bit of head scratching, I decided to go for the Shark Pet one. As luck would have it, when I went to order on line, not only was the pet hand unit (also for stairs) included, but also a very comprehensive Car cleaning unit all for £199.00 delivered.

Arrived almost immediately!!

Now I've used it, I'm really impressed. The only slight down side is that the 'Bag' is quite small and as it is SO efficient, I have been making a few more trips to the bins outside. That apart, and it will be better now I have done the whole house, I can' fault it. Very easy to move, very useful being able to take the bag and motor off and still use the whole thing.

All in all £199.00 well spent.

Phil

phil.p":hz4jw32y said:
My friend spent his working life repairing domestic electricals - he always said Dyson kept him in business and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. (I'm the owner of a Henry and a Lidl special that works like a slave :lol: )

That's just what the owner of the vac shop at the end of our road says too. He sells Numatics (Henrys), but only spares for Dysons.

My mother-in-law was on the point of throwing away her "broken" Dyson upright. I said I'd take a quick look at it. She has long hair. I had a rather unpleasant couple of hours unblocking some staggeringly stupid piping and duct work, and five years later I think she still has the machine (although she's too infirm now to do her own housework).

I would never, ever buy anything made by Dyson, having seen a hairdryer they make on "sale" in Los Angeles for $500. Almost makes me ashamed to be British.

E.

treeturner123":29ywxlwg said:
Hi All

Thanks for all who replied. After a bit of head scratching, I decided to go for the Shark Pet one. As luck would have it, when I went to order on line, not only was the pet hand unit (also for stairs) included, but also a very comprehensive Car cleaning unit all for £199.00 delivered.

Arrived almost immediately!!

Now I've used it, I'm really impressed. The only slight down side is that the 'Bag' is quite small and as it is SO efficient, I have been making a few more trips to the bins outside. That apart, and it will be better now I have done the whole house, I can' fault it. Very easy to move, very useful being able to take the bag and motor off and still use the whole thing.

All in all £199.00 well spent.

Phil

Good choice :D

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but just wanted to thank Phil and the other posters for bringing Shark to my attention. Just took delivery of a 910 yesterday and so impressed by it. Good solid machine, easy to use, versatile (goes places others don't go) and at a good price. I thought the house was clean so am ashamed to say how many times I had to empty it :) Totally converted!

I think I might try a Shark next, they seem to be well regarded.

Currently using a Vax upright I bought from the Vax outlet website, it was down to £49 due to damaged packaging and being a discontinued model. Superb little hoover, ideal size for our property and very powerful. Only downside the short hose so I bought an extension that I modified to fit.

Before that we were using a George which worked fine but was awfully bulky and heavy to move around. The lack of a powered brush limited it's effectiveness on carpet as well, the first time we used the Vax we had to empty it several times because of the sheer amount of dust it pulled from the carpets :shock:
George is now just used for carpet cleaning which it does an OK job of, I would prefer an upright machine if I am honest but I can't justify the expense.

Tested the Vax against my mothers Dyson which obviously cost an awful lot more, it pulled way more muck out of the carpets, wouldn't buy a Dyson again.

Mark Hancock":2dqryhct said:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but just wanted to thank Phil and the other posters for bringing Shark to my attention. Just took delivery of a 910 yesterday and so impressed by it. Good solid machine, easy to use, versatile (goes places others don't go) and at a good price. I thought the house was clean so am ashamed to say how many times I had to empty it :) Totally converted!

Mark, It's NOT for your workshop!!

Like you, I was horrified at the amount picked up initially, but as it is so easy to use, we use it more so much less fluff to empty.

Phil

Back