Edited - Which track saw (rather than which circular saw)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I’ve been to bed and regenerated so to speak, I remember now why I looked at and bought the Triton. This is because the Triton has a soft start. Might not be important to you, but I find that all power tools I have that have soft starts are much more comfortable to use.

Stick with kit that can run on the Festool-style tracks (see Peter Millard's comparison videos). Even if you don't buy Festool now, you may want one of their rails later.

Personally I hate joining rails, so have a 3m Makita rail (which is OK-ish but not dead straight, I fear). If I get the opportunity I'll buy the equivalent Festool rail (I think their QC is slightly better). One of the main points of a track saw is the straightness/accuracy of cut that's achievable. Ther's nothing worse than mucking up a long cut because the saw stuck or jumped when it got to the joint.

I feel bound to mention though that the Makita tracksaw is actually manufactured in the UK, in case you're feeling patriotic!

Regarding cost, it's worth considering how much you might want to use the system. Are you going to make lots of stuff, or just use it occasionally? If it's a "for a lifetime" purchase, my advice is don't be stingy - buy a really good quality one, as you won't regret it. Festool and Makita tracks, incidentally, can be used for other purposes such as guiding a router or drilling evenly-spaced shelf pins (for cupboard sides and so on, it is a "special" rail tho.). So to an extent you would be buying into a system. The blades are also better, and can be cheaply resharpened several times (so they are not as pricey as might first appear!). The better stuff also holds its secondhand value well.

So that was just a few thoughts... whatever you buy, do (a) read the safety guide thoroughly, (b) make sure you can hook it up to a vacuum (makes a world of difference), and (c) enjoy that new-out-of-the-box feeling!

Have fun :)

Thank you for the further comments.

Peter - I would just say what an amazing set of videos that you have created.

Extremely informative, yet easy enough to understand for complete beginners as myself. I feel so much more prepared now.

One particularly important thing I picked up (I hope I have remembered this correctly) is that the Scheppach/Aldi track saws have a slightly different track system, whereas all the others are interchangable, which is definitely important for future use.

I was just about to take the plunge (sorry - pun very much intended) and e-mailed Screwfix for details of when the Titan would back in stock, to which I got the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Titan plunge Saw.
I am very sorry but this is no longer stocked with us.
We are now stocking a Macallister range which includes a very similar product which can be viewed by following the link below.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister ... 240v/274gf
I trust that this information is of use to you, and please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require any further assistance.

I am absolutely gutted that I missed the boat. Is MacAllister anything to do with Titan or is it a completely different brand?

My options, now, are going to be finding a Titan on ebay or considering spending considerably more on another model.

elsmandino":y27yqsx7 said:
Thank you for the further comments.

Peter - I would just say what an amazing set of videos that you have created.

Extremely informative, yet easy enough to understand for complete beginners as myself. I feel so much more prepared now.

One particularly important thing I picked up (I hope I have remembered this correctly) is that the Scheppach/Aldi track saws have a slightly different track system, whereas all the others are interchangable, which is definitely important for future use.

I was just about to take the plunge (sorry - pun very much intended) and e-mailed Screwfix for details of when the Titan would back in stock, to which I got the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Titan plunge Saw.
I am very sorry but this is no longer stocked with us.
We are now stocking a Macallister range which includes a very similar product which can be viewed by following the link below.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister ... 240v/274gf
I trust that this information is of use to you, and please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require any further assistance.

I am absolutely gutted that I missed the boat. Is MacAllister anything to do with Titan or is it a completely different brand?

My options, now, are going to be finding a Titan on ebay or considering considerably more on another model.

MacAllister are a budget brand touted by B&Q, part of the same group of companies to which Screwfix also belong. Okay, I've been spoilt a bit now by better brands but I did have one of their jigsaws - an emergency purchase for cutting laminate flooring - and it really wasn't up to much. At the same time I bought one of their mains powered drills primarily for use with a pocket hole jig. I still have the drill but not the jig so it rarely gets used. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy either of them again, both a false economy.

I have the Erbauer track saw that you linked on the screwfix site. It is the only track saw I have ever owned so I have no real basis for comparison, but I am quite happy with it. It has a soft start motor which is nice, and I have found the cut quality to be quite good.

The only 2 negatives I would add is that the saw does lack the punch of some of the more expensive saws, but if you are going to be mainly working with sheet goods this should not be much of a problem. The other negative is the guide rail size, this is not a negative purely against the erbauer, but all the track saws at the sub £200 mark. All the ones I have seen generally come with 2x 0.7 meter tracks, which when joined together allow you to cut a 8x4 sheet of material along its shortest length (just) However the join can sometimes catch. So if you do go for one of the more "budget" brands, You might want to factor in buying some longer rails.

edit: The other plus for the erbauer is the rail clamps that come with it which are really good.

I had the misfortune to buy an Erbauer PT a few years ago and when parts needed, Screwfix said non available for that product brand so once out of warranty, treat as throw away.

I went for a Triton track saw which, in my limited use so far is very accurate and have found their backup service excellent when I needed some advice.

I have the scheppach and festool track saws

Both work well, the cheaper one can do the same quality of work, the track is similar quality, the saw is obviously cheaper -more plastic parts, not so well designed, noisy and clunky by comparison.

For occasional diy use the sceppach does a very good job -especially if upgraded with a freud blade.

I've got the Lidl saw with a Freud blade (I ruined the stock one cutting laminate floor), and it's ace.
I made a little crosscut jig (as shown on Peter's youtube channel - thank you!), and it's a really useful tool.

I also bought extra track via e-mail, only about £18 for another 2 pieces.

Of the two you posted - avoid the Evolution - it's not a plunge saw, it's a circular saw, and the rails are really short, which will be a pain.

The Rutlands looks exactly the same as the Lidl saw.

The Sheppach is NOT "gutless"...

I bought one at an 'end of stock' clearance for an emergency sheet ply job. Did that cleanly and easily. Then did two more massive sessions on rough timber, before switching to contiboard trimming yesterday. Mehh...blade is a bit coarse for the conti, I'm having to pre-score, but a high-tooth number blade will sort that . 48 or 96 toother maybe.

Just my 2d.

Sam

I bought the Makita saw because whilst I do a lot of woodworking, I don't do much sheet work. I didn't want to spend £500+ for a Festool or Mafell because I simply wouldn't be using it enough to justify the spend. But I also didn't want to buy something that wouldn't last or came with really pointlessly short tracks. I paid £280 during an eBay sale for the Makita saw, two 1500mm tracks, clamps, the Makpak, and a spare connector bar. I thought it was a good deal.

Have the Titan saw with the Freud blade and the Evo st2800 tracks. Very happy and looking forward to constructing my MFT assembly table and using the benchdogs.co.uk fence/dogs on it.

I was seriously considering getting the cordless festool in that ebay/ffx sale but I'd literally only just bought the Titan (and was happy with it) and despite the 20% off and free battery, it was still going to be a few hundred quid I just didn't really have.

At some point I'll probably get a festool one but the Titan is putting in a good shift for the uses I have right now.

I bought the Rutlands plunge saw: https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... nds+xt3516 but I note that it has gone up from under £90.00 too £131.95, not so much of a bargain anymore, it does what it's supposed to and I use it to cut decorative wall/floor panels, set at the right depth does not mark the finish, but need to cover the board to prevent the rails from scratching the surface.

Back