Never lend tools!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago my wife's uncle phoned me, they had bought a new kitchen and their son was fitting it but his router had packed up could he borrow one?
I had just a few weeks before bought a new DeWalt 625, used it twice each time cleaned afterwards and put back in its box. Said he could borrow it and he said he'd pick it up the next day which he duly did (they live about 5 miles away).
About a month later not heard from him and I need the router so phoned to ask if they were done as I needed my router, was told "oh yes, its just sat here waiting for you to collect it" :shock:
Put the phone down before I told him my thoughts on that, drove straight there "did I want to see the kitchen?"
" No, wheres my router, "
"Oh, here"
"bye"
Checked it back home to find router and inside of its box covered in sawdust, I don't lend tools anymore!

I think it's pretty difficult with good friends. If they ask to borrow something, or request help, I do tend to give it. I am gradually getting to the point where I have "best" tools and back up tools and will only lend the bak up ones.

In another lesson in the past few weeks, I lent a friend by big Britool torque wrench. He somehow managed to knacker the ratchet mechanism and now I will have to strip it and fix it which is doable but a waste of time.

loftyhermes":32n5ply9 said:
woodbloke66":32n5ply9 said:
Many years ago, back in the mid 70's a fantastic cabinetmaker lived in the next village to us and by a round about method I went to see him and look at his stuff. He had one or two excellent books and I enquired if I could borrow one for a few days. Much to my surprise he said he never, ever loaned books or tools to anybody and since that time I haven't either - Rob
Learned that lesson a long time ago. I had a signed copy of Keith Rowleys book, Woodturning, a foundation course that I lent out and never got back, so I now no longer lend either books or tools.

I lent a carving book to a "friend". When he gave it back the pages were all swollen and wrinkled from being wet.
"What happened to it?" says I.
"Got wet." he said. "Sorry."
"How did it get wet?"
"I was reading it in the bathroom."
"You owe me a new book!"
"Why? You can still read it."
"Keep it."
I bought myself another.

Pete

Surprised that no ones pointed out that the only one safe to lend your tools to is the man that would never ask you. He'll have his own tools carefully stowed away. In a bind I would help most people if they want to help them selves. I don't let them even look at my tools though. No peekin! You aint worthy!
I can't abide helpless people. Make an effort and I will do anything to help within reason. Sit on your *rse Die on your *sre as far as I'm concerned.
Did a bit of white water rafting once. Fat lad fell in the boat and he didn't have the strength in his arms to lift himself up. He grabbed on to my leg and it took all my self control not to stand up and kick him to death as we went down the rapids. At what point do you become so heavy you literally cant roll yourself onto your feet. Are you actually a tortoise? As it was I just gave him a couple of digs with the paddle to his face. He let go of my leg after that. Wake up son. Have some self respect ffs. WT actual F.
Ok I was kidding about the digs to the face but only just. The intention was there. Just manners holding me back tbh.

MikeG.":1skxvgqb said:
You'd be safe lending a punch to a neighbour, wouldn't you. Of course you would.

Well, after he ruined it, somehow, he bought me a completely unnecessary set of 3 new ones and a bottle of wine. That's the right attitude, but I'm much more interested in how you actually can possibly manage to stuff up a punch.

One could use it as a nail set; in typical Brummagem fashion!

John (hammer)

Back in the 80s I had an apprentice for three years until he came out of his time.As a parting gift I decided to buy him a new Disston saw,so I took him to the tool store and I bought two ,one for me and the other for him and he and his parents were very grateful.A few weeks later I caught him sawing some old painted window frames up for cockwood to burn on our cabin stove pot ,I gave him a right rollicking and a scuff around the ear and he ran off up the site at lunchtime he returned and I had calmed down.I asked him what he thought he was doing cutting up rough wood with his brand new saw,he calmly replied"It wasn't mine it was yours" you've never seen someone run so fast.We are still good friends after all those years and yes I still have my saw. No it isn't used much these days.

I used my tiling tools to retile my Father in Laws front step, I was on my way to something important and got to the time to leave just as I finished, so I left explicit instructions to wash all the tools that were covered in tile adhesive and the bucket etc...... thanks for that.

paulrockliffe":2y602ki9 said:
I used my tiling tools to retile my Father in Laws front step, I was on my way to something important and got to the time to leave just as I finished, so I left explicit instructions to wash all the tools that were covered in tile adhesive and the bucket etc...... thanks for that.

I'm guessing he didn't?

phil.p":2lf6nc4d said:
My friend used to borrow my chainsaws, but he always replaced a chain if he hit it. He also lent me his 7.5 t truck and his 5 ton dumper when I needed them, so I never had qualms about that. :D
I did have an arrangement for years with a guy I worked with where we never bought the same router cutter, we bought alternately and always different.

I borrow tools from my mate "Dave the builder" all the time, but nearly always end up cleaning, fettling or adjusting them before I can use them - mitre saw 4 degrees out from 90? Nope, lets fix that, so I'm usually handing them back in better working condition than he loaned them.

Rafe? He is DELIBERATELY giving you his tools that he has knocked out of kilter....knowing he will get them back repaired and properly set up? He's taking you for, not a mug exactly, but a cheap repair service! :D

If he is THAT inconsiderate/cack-handed with tools, remind me never, ever, to trust him with a dimension- sensitive layout! :D

Yes, I am extracting the Micheal, because I have a good mate (Paddy), the spittin' image of your builder, but there is no way I'm letting him near a kitchen refit or even a 'square' found! On the other hand, he is an absolute genius at demolition or reboarding a ceiling!

Sam

I bought a fancypants sorby second hand on here. Marvelous machine. I don't regret it. It was everybodies christmas presents combined. For one year the hive mind combined and bought me summat I actuallywanted. A group effort that saw me never have to regrind by hand again. I don't need it. I'm lucky to have it. But once they had all bought it I started getting the most innocuous second uncles of the Mrs turning up. Hear you can sharpen my chisels.... they would whisper to me while trying not to move their lips and not look suspicious.
Well yeh. If you can't be £$"ed to put the effort in yourself to sharpen them every 25 years so you can open your paint pots then yeh. Technically. I can.
And then they'd unload some cobweb strewn, mouldy canvas bag with 93 dead blunt rusty chisels that have never seen sunlight for aeons onto my workbench. What about them then?
I will sharpen 3 for nowt.
Eh? Buuttt...
I will sharpen all 93 if you pay me for my time and materials like belts.
Or I will sharpen 3 useful sizes to a state that you are not capable of using.
But I have 93!
You'll still have 93 when I've finished but 3 will actually be useful for their original purpose. Even if you end up opening pain tins with them.
Harumph.. Oh well go on then ... my Dad used to... collect nails he was so poor.... blah blah blah
Ok.... Then *getting a tiny bit short tempered*. I will.
This country is literally swimming on a surfeit excess of old quality steel sat in peoples garages because they don't have a clue what to do with it.

Just remembered another incident years ago. I had 2 Belle cement mixers used in my building business and the lads kept them scrupulously clean as I insisted.

A neighbour called one weekend and asked to borrow one "for a couple of days to build a small garden wall", I reluctantly agreed giving strict instructions how it should be used and cleaned.
Nearly 2 weeks later I had to go round and ask for it back which didn't much please me but when I saw it I went nuts, it was covered in mortar and the drum had been bashed with a hammer to get some of the dried stuff out however what upset me even more than that was he hadn't built a wall, he'd paid some unemployed DIY-er to build it for him.

I sent him an invoice for a new drum and as expected he didn't pay it but never asked to borrow anything again - cheeky tw*t! :evil:

SammyQ":st5uov53 said:
Rafe? He is DELIBERATELY giving you his tools that he has knocked out of kilter....knowing he will get them back repaired and properly set up? He's taking you for, not a mug exactly, but a cheap repair service! :D

If he is THAT inconsiderate/cack-handed with tools, remind me never, ever, to trust him with a dimension- sensitive layout! :D

Yes, I am extracting the Micheal, because I have a good mate (Paddy), the spittin' image of your builder, but there is no way I'm letting him near a kitchen refit or even a 'square' found! On the other hand, he is an absolute genius at demolition or reboarding a ceiling!

Sam

Lol I get what you mean, he's not terrible, but he has a bit of a "general builder" attitude to his tools, but not nearly as bad as others; he does looks after his chisels though - I know, I'm the one who sharpens them for him.

Oh and I get hauls of nice reclaimed wood from him too so it's a pretty good arrangement.

Back