Weekly Discussion Topic - Week 1 - Airbrushing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like something I need to learn! Is there a link to something on the web that describes how to make and attach the stencils? Presumably it's more tricky on a curved surface?

This is a really interesting thread. As I mentioned before, my little tankless compressor unit measures about 15-17 lbs when myairbrush is fully open. It seems to do the job as well as I can see with my level of understanding, at least it does with the products I’ve used. I note Dalboy mentions that his tanked setup will deliver 30lbs with the brush wide open. This leads me to ask, what would be the effect of a higher pressure, and can it it be used at too higher pressure? How do you know when you’ve got it right? Would higher pressure allow the use of thicker products, say metallic or iridescent paints?

Chris152":15hca1la said:
Looks like something I need to learn! Is there a link to something on the web that describes how to make and attach the stencils? Presumably it's more tricky on a curved surface?

Have a look at some of the u tube videos on airbrushing like most on there you will need to make up your mind which is good. It is awkward to use stencils on a compound curve on turning. The soldier I used a paper stencil of the soldier and held it in place with spray adhesive used for photographs the poppies I held those free hand as they are smaller. Some times it is a case of experimenting

Honest John":15hca1la said:
This is a really interesting thread. As I mentioned before, my little tankless compressor unit measures about 15-17 lbs when myairbrush is fully open. It seems to do the job as well as I can see with my level of understanding, at least it does with the products I’ve used. I note Dalboy mentions that his tanked setup will deliver 30lbs with the brush wide open. This leads me to ask, what would be the effect of a higher pressure, and can it it be used at too higher pressure? How do you know when you’ve got it right? Would higher pressure allow the use of thicker products, say metallic or iridescent paints?

Different paints require different sized needles and nozzles many of the paints I use need to be thinned using the correct thinners for the job for example the acrylic paints many think because they are water based water would be used but this does thin them with the side effect of making them more transparent so I either use a flow aid by Liquitex or the correct reducer for airbrush paints. Spirit stains don't need thinning.
As for pressure I use various pressures for different type of paints and found that I have never gone above 30 PSI If I want very thin lines I turn the pressure down as well as control the amount of air and paint by the airbrush trigger that is if I am using a double action airbrush. Single action airbrushed is a different kettle of fish with gentle pressure on the trigger you can control it but not to the point of the double action one which is really suited to laying down large areas of paint.

Chris152":2o6pak76 said:
What kinds of work can be done with an airbrush on turned pieces? Maybe some pics with a brief account of how they were done?

Here's one I enjoyed doing with airbrushes - spirit stains were used: Airbrushed platter

stewart":3rsu26hl said:
Chris152":3rsu26hl said:
What kinds of work can be done with an airbrush on turned pieces? Maybe some pics with a brief account of how they were done?

Here's one I enjoyed doing with airbrushes - spirit stains were used: Airbrushed platter
Got a thumbs up from me on YouTube, and agree the red one's most successful. And I wouldn't worry about the crack at all, it goes with the territory? Really helpful vid.

Interesting thread, though I'm not a wood turner (I'm waiting until I retire!!), I bought a half way decent compressor and air brush a while ago and have had great fun using chestnut stains, metallics etc. on (picture) frames that I've made for family & friends. Now I find that you clever beggars have been doing it all far better and more creatively than me :D

Back