Now I have Mastered Woodwork I am moving on losers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever need any big whompin' stones to make another stone henge just ask, all I have to do is head over to craggy mountain over yonder and pick up some "blue" stone.

I'm sure royal mail would have no trouble with a 4 tonne stone, if the ancient inhabitants could shift them from 'ere to Wiltshire I'm sure they would have no trouble at all.

Funnily enough, a large lorry came along and took a few larger stones not too long ago, destined for some garden in Scotland. The farmer got a nice chunk of cash for them.

just goes to show you how important trying new things is and getting outside your comfort zone, good job! grinling gibbons started out carving stone before he touched wood.

Pair of knobbers the both of you. High art that is! Come the next boot sale I will prove it.

Nice, what's next? a version of Michaelangelo "dave" based on big Dave from the local?

Pete

When I saw that raw lump of stone it reminded me that its not long now to the Macmillan open day near Market Harborough.
You might think (not unreasonably) I am a raving nutcase to associate the two, but the explanation is that there is a stone mason on the same site and his stone looks a lot like that. I always have a walk around and nosey the interesting stuff going on.
Might be an added interest BM, and tip you over to making an extra effort to get there.

Garno":173rrtft said:
Am I the only heathen wondering what it is? :?
Don't listen to Bob and Phil, the messers, it's supposed to be a hare Garno, loosely based on celtic design, hence the lines and curls. So really as a heathen you should know that. :wink: So as a Heathen you'll also know that the Hare was (apparently) venerated by the celts as a symbol of change, spring, new life all that jazz. When the Christian Church was getting people to believe in their God instead of the Other Gods they often incorporated aspects of the old beliefs to make it easier to convert people. Churches were often built on top of old sacred sites etc. Hence the Easter Bunny. I'm not even making this up. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

Bm101":32uni2lt said:
Garno":32uni2lt said:
Am I the only heathen wondering what it is? :?
Don't listen to Bob and Phil, the messers, it's supposed to be a hare Garno, loosely based on celtic design, hence the lines and curls. So really as a heathen you should know that. :wink: So as a Heathen you'll also know that the Hare was (apparently) venerated by the celts as a symbol of change, spring, new life all that jazz. When the Christian Church was getting people to believe in their God instead of the Other Gods they often incorporated aspects of the old beliefs to make it easier to convert people. Churches were often built on top of old sacred sites etc. Hence the Easter Bunny. I'm not even making this up. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

In fairness to you I think you have done a great job on it. I know I would never have the patience to do anything like that. Would be good to see it finished before you sell it at the car boot :D

I never quite got round to smoothing them carving lines out, Doubtless I will. :wink: Oooo. K.
I did get round to making a little place for the hare/chicken /mermaid on a bike. Has to be better than sitting on bare concrete.
It's cherry and oak. I have an oak floor so it ties it all in if you like. The cherry was the only board I had wide enough. Also it's cherry. No more justification needed.
The oak strip was treated with vinegar and wire wool, fitted into a routed groove then planed down to reveal the oak again. Just for contrast. Darlinks. Finished with Osmo as usual.

Keep the Mrs happy. Important Life Skill.
Keep yourself happy. Even more so.

KExhZxH.jpg

9PiIoEL.jpg

BryBApF.jpg

i9UKgAn.jpg

Sometimes I can't believe I'm so posh. :wink:

It kind of looks like two sumo wrestlers pushing against each other in the last photo, one of them has a bandana flying in the wind :wink:

Bm101":3nx0qgr7 said:

Are you sure it's the right way up, surely a ducks head would be pointing down and a ninja turtle wouldn't stand like that?

Tut.
It's a monkey, leaning back, breathing fire.

It's obvious.

Edit: it's way more than I could achieve, so kudos for the flaming monkey!

Is this what you were trying to do Chris?

thIURNAFVZ.jpg

Attachments

• thIURNAFVZ.jpg
    thIURNAFVZ.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 283
Student":57tlkm2h said:
I think that Dr. B’s idea may be worth considering. The Cheddar Gorge isn’t that far from Frome so you could pop up there on day 3.

Keep your 'ands off my gorge!

I grew-up in Priddy, just a few miles away. Cycled down the gorge, at breakneck speed, many, many times as a teenager/young man, many years ago.

Back