which SPEED CONTROL 2.2KW 3HP 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers ive been looking at these and am i right in thinking there ok with dust mate there are a look at £100.00 mark .i no the invertec are more expensive but i think they are ok to mount just under the table top .

Tablesaws produce so much dust, that I would make a cabinet for the VFD, regardless on which brand you choose.
A metal box will protect one from something hitting them, aswell as fire protection and accidental water splashes to a degree, depending on how well you make it...
If that happened, it would get isolated from the wall straight away, then I'd be waiting for the high voltage capacitors to drain off before touching it, opening the door afterwards and checking how things were.
It might get left unplugged for some time, if it were a bad splash from say... something dropping into your Frank Klausz waterstone box.
That is what I'd call a bad splash for me, because water wouldn't be anywhere near my VFD.
I don't even use waterstones, just couldn't think of anything else as an example.

Tom

I've mounted all mine in proper steel enclosures - at the end of the day you're playing with big voltages and if something goes wrong I'd rather it all safely earthed in a box! I holesawed vent holes in the sides and fitted a very fine mesh so the inverter has some cooling. Something to note is that the inverter should run the motor directly and not go through the original switchgear - if something gets switched off while the inverter is doing it's thing all that power has to go somewhere!

cheers for that mate i was just looking to see if any of the metal money boxes were big enough then if they are ill do it like you have said . would make things easy for me as i no the lid will shut properly . yeah i read that about dont use the existing switch gear and wire straight to the vfd . i get some great advice of people on this forum they are great lads .

That would have to be a very large keybox, guessing your thinking of folding some flat sheet to go inbetween the lid and the back panel.
I done so with an exit sign on a bandsaw, and thought it was a bit cramped, not only for wiring the thing up which is difficult
to fit hands into, but from a heat perspective, as it seemed a bit warm during last years heatwave in my uninsulated workshop.
Something with a flat top will hold heaps of dust on a tablesaw. I don't know how it would fair out being stuck to the side of the machine.
If doing so, I'd get some thin rubber to use for vibration, as these cheap VFD's are made of delicate plastic.
I would make some easy dismountable system for your VFD, if you plan on fitting it into a small cabinet DAMHIK.

Ttrees":2m35i0mw said:
I would make some easy dismountable system for your VFD, if you plan on fitting it into a small cabinet DAMHIK.
Decent quality VFD's clip straight onto DIN rail. Makes it easy. There's lots of varying size steel enclosures on ebay - mine came from a supplier in ireland. Cost about £35 I think. I put my air holes in the side so they won't let dust in. The old one on my graduate used to get buried in turnings but never had an issue with temperature. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.

I just used bolts for mounting mine.
I will make the bolts captured, if I make another machine mounted cabinet.

On both my VFD's, I wanted the screen as close to the front door as possible,
but wanted to retain the minimum depth that the cabinet needed to be.

be great that mate if you have a picture ive just been looking at a enclosure 30dx30w x37h cm im not sure if its to big .

On some of the vfds you can use 3 wire control to use the old buttons of your machine. Jack Forsberg is doing a range of drives with an extension and mounting tray for the keypad of the drive. A bit more expensive than the cheap ones but look good once plumbed in

I like invertek too - have fitted about 6 of them.
The none sealed ones need to be in a box so the fans don't drag dust into the electronics and cause overheating. The instructions give recommended minimum size - leave at least an inch or so clear to top, bottom and both sides. I don't see any harm in too big a box, I haven't yet found one that is a really neat close fit to their smaller size drives so I've fabricated some of mine.

I've done as the previous poster mentioned and connected the 3 control wires to the original pushbuttons of an old Jubilee lathe so that it looks original but gains a smooth start and a 3 phase motor.

Back