Questions about metal shoulder plane build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, thanks Andy. I thought I'd tried the wheely thingy, but obviously not! All good now....
Cheers,
Ian

Thanks for the kind words folks
I think the next one will be better, although I kind of like one of the flaws, that large circular dented area in the side.
It could differente that plane if I make another, whether a pair of these turns out to be handier or not,
I've yet to find out.
If this happens, I might try welding one up the same instead quickly, but keep a few elements like the bridge.

Your planes look gorgeous, we would all love to see some posts on your process :D

I might try making a jack plane with a fence at some stage,
A while ago, David W had a thread on making a skewed shooting plane, unsure if the skew would be preferable for use as a jack plane and smoother together,
so I might opt to put a Bailey frog on it instead.
Not set in stone yet about making this particular plane though.

Tom

So, back on topic, I too would like a wip on your riveted plane.
I did one, years ago, which showed how to make a functional plane, complete with scratches, dents and undersized rivets, nothing near as good looking as yours!

AndyT":djylsgb7 said:
So, back on topic, I too would like a wip on your riveted plane.
I did one, years ago, which showed how to make a functional plane, complete with scratches, dents and undersized rivets, nothing near as good looking as yours!

Righto, working on it. Give me a day or two to find some pics & put it together.....

Cheers,
Ian

Dunnit - here 'tis:

It's not really a WIP, but covers some of the problems & pitfalls I've encountered in my own plane-making. Happy to answer any specific questions anyone may have..... :)
Cheers,
IW

Back