Small metal lathe project just arrived

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minilathe22

Established Member
Reaction score
OK so a friend was planning to throw this thing away, but I decided to rescue it. I think it might be hand made, as there is no makers plate, and the tailstock looks like it was welded together. It has a 3/4" 10tpi headstock thread and MT1 tapers. Approx 2" centre height and 9" between centers. I am more of a woodworker, and have a wood lathe, but I am hoping I can use this for small metal working tasks.

When the tailstock clamping bolt is loosened, it will freely rotate on the rod, which I might try and resolve. The motor does not run so I will decide whether to take it to bits or replace it. I may also try and mount it on the wood lathe, and drive it from the wood lathe headstock, as I already have a variable speed motor setup for that.

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 455
I am considering remaking the wooden base with a nicer material, and with a metal splashback perhaps.

the round bar has a groove running underneath, which keeps the compound slide bit from rotating. I think if I tap a thread in the base of the tailstock then it will not rotate.

I don't think it's handmade as such although parts of it are obviously built from other stuff, the tail stock obviously and the box. it could be a conversion from a wood lathe but I don't think it's that either looking at the lead screw.

It's a round bed lathe, a number of makers used this design but they tended to be a bit fancier around the headstock. the box style suggest post 1930s as it was cheaper to make. have a search here

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

this is pretty much the one stop shop for all you need to know, it might be worth firing an email to Tony (although he may not answer, who could blame him) with a picture as he is pretty much the authority on this stuff.

a roll pin in the tail stock is all thats needed no reason to tap a hole.

don't expect the world from it, it won't be all that rigid but will be a fun little thing to play with, be careful if you up the motor capacity, it's best to underdrive a floppy lathe so it stalls before it snaps the thing in half.

I am a big fan of the Lathes website, very useful for information on a known lathe, however a bit daunting to go through each page looking for this one! :shock:

I am considering getting a sheet of steel and putting an angle on it, bolted to the box. It would add some rigidity and serve as a splashback as well.

For the drive, the existing motor is a universal brushed motor, which as I understand it will vary in speed when a load is applied. This is not ideal for metal turning as far as I am aware. I thought a good replacement would be a cheap battery powered drill, which would have two handy features: They tend to have a PWM based speed control, and a 2 speed step down gearbox, which would slightly make up for the lack of any back gear mechanism.

I thought the brushed motor was the opposite regarding load.
I could be mistaken, as I know very little about universal motors.
What RPM has it?
A cordless drill usually has a slower rpm, but is the same motor type.

A universal motor running without any regulator will try and go very fast, potentially 10k rpm. If a load is applied, then the rpm will fall, depending on the load.

A battery drill will also be a universal motor, but geared down which makes the reduction in speed less significant, and the PWM controller will regulate the motor speed ( unless run at full voltage, then the PWM is not applied). So If I run the motor with a PWM controller, it should be fairly consistent. Motors are a whole separate subject though! I could try my existing battery drill temporarily connected and see how it behaves.

looks likea home made watchmakers or jewellers lathe

Latest posts

Back