Post a photo of the last thing you turned (!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still experimenting with the router. Latest results in mahogany.

Attachments

• DSC04495msa.jpg
    DSC04495msa.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 725
Thanks marcros. Been a good while since my last post. Seemed a little livelier in those days.

I would be interested to see a picture of your setup. Way beyond my skill level to turn the items, let alone the rest but interesting to see all the same.

_MG_8547.jpg

Beech bowls, carbonised interiors, finished with grape seed oil.

Attachments

• _MG_8547.jpg
    _MG_8547.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 658
_MG_8650.jpg

_MG_8642.jpg

Apple! Second turned and finished with grape seed oil.

Attachments

• _MG_8642.jpg
    _MG_8642.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 533
  • _MG_8650.jpg
    _MG_8650.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 533
_MG_8719.jpg

Damson second turned, leaving distortion at rim. It's a beautiful wood.

_MG_8724.jpg

Two rather dull ash plates glued together and re-turned out of boredom! It's a shape I made many years ago from clay, for a-level ceramics.

Attachments

• _MG_8719.jpg
    _MG_8719.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 430
  • _MG_8724.jpg
    _MG_8724.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 430
Ash.
_MG_9237.jpg

Come on guys and gals, let's see more of what you've been turning!

Attachments

• _MG_9237.jpg
    _MG_9237.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 354
Well, the reason that I'm reluctant to post on this thread is that what I'm making looks carp compared with the rest of this beautiful work! I reassure myself that I've only been turning for a month and it's bound to get better Anyway, my wife's sister needed a present at short notice so I was banished to my barn for a few hours to make something from left overs and scraps. As my SIL has gone totally cake making mad, this stand seemed like a good idea...

cake_platter.jpeg

It may not be beautiful, but the engineers among you will instantly recognise that it's over engineered and will carry a large fruit cake without collapsing. I have no idea why my son's action man is perched on the top, it seems to have been incorporated into some game!

Attachments

• cake_platter.jpeg
    cake_platter.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 279
Tis the season....

Acacia, Sycamore, Plum, Indian Rosewood, Yew, Mahogany.

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-PL9Qj3NxCKxfKb9.jpg

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-PL9Qj3NxCKxfKb9.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-PL9Qj3NxCKxfKb9.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 253
gog64":bj4vt9xs said:
Well, the reason that I'm reluctant to post on this thread is that what I'm making looks carp compared with the rest of this beautiful work! I reassure myself that I've only been turning for a month and it's bound to get better Anyway, my wife's sister needed a present at short notice so I was banished to my barn for a few hours to make something from left overs and scraps. As my SIL has gone totally cake making mad, this stand seemed like a good idea...

It may not be beautiful, but the engineers among you will instantly recognise that it's over engineered and will carry a large fruit cake without collapsing. I have no idea why my son's action man is perched on the top, it seems to have been incorporated into some game!

Anything involving support for cake is a GOOD THING. Nothing wrong with over-engineering a cake stand - where I come from, Heavy Cake is a thing. It needs to be safe and secure. Image the trauma of a cake crash!

I wanted to have a go at something square with wings! Just a bit of pine from the scrap bin as I just wanted to have a go at the shape for practice. 32cm diameter.

CD45271D-C59C-4304-982C-7E82518247AB.jpeg

Attachments

• CD45271D-C59C-4304-982C-7E82518247AB.jpeg
    CD45271D-C59C-4304-982C-7E82518247AB.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 189
Being inspired by the shape of HappyPixie's Burr Oak Bowl, having a few lumps of gifted Walnut and not had time to do any bowl turning recently, I got my act together and turned this :
Walnut-Utile Dropped Rim bowl.png

Not as big as HappyPixie's at 130 dia and 95mm high, the 'bowl' is 35mm deep and the dropped rim 1mm thick. The base is Utile 78mm dia x 48mm high.

This will be a present for the friend who provided the Walnut - albeit some 2 years ago!

Attachments

• Walnut-Utile Dropped Rim bowl.png
    Walnut-Utile Dropped Rim bowl.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
Its harder and harder to find time to get into the workshop. Here's a Yew pot pourii bowl I finished last week, started it sometime in December I think and left to one side.
ERtMjG6XYAENhZ4

Never mind the time in the making, it was worth the wait.
Like your treatment of the top with the bead, just adds that 'difference' to the piece.
Finished well.

This one came out a bit better off than the last one (first one) ...

ash-bowl-2.png

ahh-bowl2-3.png

ash-bowl-2-2.png

I still have issues with not having a chuck and having to use a glue block and I suspect I may have used some unsafe practices :oops:

Oh and Ash - lovely to work with compared to yesterday!

ScaredyCat":2kaizj7q said:
….
I still have issues with not having a chuck and having to use a glue block and I suspect I may have used some unsafe practices :oops:
Successful outcome for an early turning.
Regards unsafe practices, the fact that you are aware of them and presumably have been suitably cautious and kept vulnerable bits of the anatomy out of the firing line until you can eliminate them is good.

Damned with faint praise. :lol:

Camera does a better job than my eyes at picking up the flaws - I didn't see the sanding marks until the photos.

I'm just using standard sanding paper - the stuff for random orbital sanders. You things improve with one of those bowl sanders? (I think prokraft have all the bits bar the wood to make one for a tenner).

Hot glue is sticking a bit too well ad clean up is an issue. To do this I stuffed the open end with paper towels and pushed it onto my glue block, then brought the tailstock up to hold it against the glue block.

Back