A Plant Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
I couldn't sit around with my butt glued to the chair, and although I was going to make this before my accident,
I decided to get on with as a thank you for our lass looking after me last week. I was hoping to have it finished in a day,
but everything took longer than anticipated and I'm completely knackered.
It's made from Ash, finished width of the timber is 38 mm, I cut about 20 mm off which I did on the scroll saw. Took a while
in comparison to the T/S but I got there. I also cut the lap joints on the scroll saw, and used the Domino to join the sections.
I'll glue up tomorrow, give it a final sanding and then a few coats of oil, and take a few more piccies :D

Plant Stand WIP.jpg

Attachments

• Plant Stand WIP.jpg
    Plant Stand WIP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,144
phil.p":2go2nabl said:
First things we made in woodwork 1965, except the legs were shaped. :D

That's brilliant Phil. Do you know, I've never really noticed them until our lass saw one in a magazine
a few months back and then they started popping up in the supermarkets. Did you make yours
with proper mortise and tenon joints?

thick_mike":g1nll5jt said:
I like that a lot.

Thanks Mike :D It'll look lovely with a bit oil, our lass loves it already. I'd say they are easy to make, or at the least
the Domino makes it easy and fairly quick.

Be wary of oil on the ash- it can go very yellow. Try it on a bit of scrap first!

marcros":3os8basi said:
Be wary of oil on the ash- it can go very yellow. Try it on a bit of scrap first!

Appreciated Marcros :D I've only used Ask on a couple of small jobs before and I sprayed them with clear lacquar.

PeteG":156m8238 said:
phil.p":156m8238 said:
First things we made in woodwork 1965, except the legs were shaped. :D

That's brilliant Phil. Do you know, I've never really noticed them until our lass saw one in a magazine
a few months back and then they started popping up in the supermarkets. Did you make yours
with proper mortise and tenon joints?
A halving on the cross member and four m&t's. the legs were splayed from the middle outwards up and down so had to be cleaned up with spokeshaves. I can't remember the wood - it may well have been agba or jelutong.

phil.p":2i7rpixa said:
A halving on the cross member and four m&t's. the legs were splayed from the middle outwards up and down so had to be cleaned up with spokeshaves. I can't remember the wood - it may well have been agba or jelutong.

I did ask our lass if she fancied something a bit different that I could have made on the scroll saw, and I would like
to make one at some point.

Nice work Pete.

I've got to echo Marcros' comment. Oils (linseed, finishing, danish, etc) will yellow it over time.

I havent used ash for a while, but I have a board of offcuts of various species. A couple of months I gave it a coat of osmo polyx and the lighest woods (maple and sycamore) still look pretty natural with no discernible yellowing.

scooby":z7gra6yv said:
Nice work Pete.

I've got to echo Marcros' comment. Oils (linseed, finishing, danish, etc) will yellow it over time.

I havent used ash for a while, but I have a board of offcuts of various species. A couple of months I gave it a coat of osmo polyx and the lighest woods (maple and sycamore) still look pretty natural with no discernible yellowing.

Appreciated Scooby :D I won't rush the finish then as I would like it to stay as natural in colour as possible. I'll get it glued up tomorrow and sanded and at least our lass can be enjoying until I sort the finish :D I need to crack on with the planters for my folks now...

On the oil front, Osmo Poly X- 3044 Raw is very good for keeping the natural colour of ash, no yellowing at all and very easy to apply/ re apply.

Horsee1":1b1qfun3 said:
On the oil front, Osmo Poly X- 3044 Raw is very good for keeping the natural colour of ash, no yellowing at all and very easy to apply/ re apply.

Much appreciated Horsee1 :D Saved to my Amazon Wish List. It seems I have to make a few more of these in various sizes so it'll come
in very handy :D

Latest posts

Back