Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil McKinlay is an entertaining guy, comes and goes. Some of his videos are more life advice than carpentry, although I’be picked up some great tips from him.

Skill builder is one of the most cringe inducing, As is ultimate handyman. As a reasonably competent spark, a lot of the DIY type channels have me wincing where they give “advice” on electrical work.

I watch quite a few of the aforementioned. Paul Sellers & Peter Millard being two of my favourites.

All well lit and filmed etc.

But another of my favourites is more lo-tech and that is ScrimperUK

Lovely videos. Beautifully presented and down to earth.

Neil McKinlay is one of my favs, he's soo entertaining, i also find myself watching badger workshop, but thats purely morbid curiosity.

MrTeroo":1vg3h0k6 said:
But another of my favourites is more lo-tech and that is ScrimperUK

Lovely videos. Beautifully presented and down to earth.

And he posts on here too.

I also enjoy some of scrimpers videos.
He is trying to share his experience without trying to become some sort of YouTube celeb.
The problem with the bigger YouTube channels is that they start out with interesting content and then when they have a fair number of subscribers they start to just add content of little value just to try and keep things going for them.

Im not sure if he's been mentioned, I find myself addicted to watching whole series of his videos that go from start to finished in several parts. its no nonsense, filmed on a phone, full of information and no YT foolishness.

GID Joiner

+1 for GID Joiner, really down to earth and hugely informative, proper old school time served Joiner.

Always replies to comments also, even if it's only a 'thanks!' But any questions and he'll explain at length, Top bloke. =D>

Interesting that YouTube has apparently been hiding lots of quality content from me, but insisting that I watch endless episodes of Izzy Swan, who to be fair is quite amusing, but there seems to be a lot I am not being offered.

On the basis that it may be location oriented, so you may not have come across him, there is a very wild and wooly Greek turner, who does a lot of huge olive roots and other crazy stuff - he also has a shop in Kefalonia where you can chat and buy lots of his stuff, should you be passing:
He sometimes speaks English, other times Greek, but with English subtitles. Kostas Deftereos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8HJndtFdE

Dont worry, there are hundreds of Kumiko videos, which seem to be the new craze despite being used in Japan for hundreds of years lol

( This comment was sponsored by Rockler)

Time for a round of this again :D
Been watching these guys recently...

Hernán Costa, for his fine hand tool work , and
The wood man Dan, He's making a Carter style plane at the moment.

Both are thoroughly watchable, and can be appreciated in mute aswell. :p

Not looked through all the thread
Has J Deacon been mentioned ?
Some interesting film there; JD is a forum member and occasional contributor

I’ve started watching Gid Joiner after it was mentioned here. He’s a terrifically down to earth bloke who shows you in as much detail as you need how a professional does day to day jobs. It’s all so relevant to the jobs I have to do round the house, I find it really useful.

I also like his low key deadpan style, almost gruff. There’s lots of humour in there too, like when he was talking about planer safety, showing off his scarred finger and then shows his cut and bruised side after walking into the safety guard he made after his accident.

His video where he plasters a wall in a kitchen to “make good” after the spark’s been in is a reliable cure for insomnia too :D

Can’t believe he only has 6k subscribers.

thick_mike":30nnqohp said:
I’ve started watching Gid Joiner after it was mentioned here. He’s a terrifically down to earth bloke who shows you in as much detail as you need how a professional does day to day jobs. It’s all so relevant to the jobs I have to do round the house, I find it really useful.

I also like his low key deadpan style, almost gruff. There’s lots of humour in there too, like when he was talking about planer safety, showing off his scarred finger and then shows his cut and bruised side after walking into the safety guard he made after his accident.

His video where he plasters a wall in a kitchen to “make good” after the spark’s been in is a reliable cure for insomnia too :D

Can’t believe he only has 6k subscribers.

Love his channel. I've followed him from the very beginning. No airs or graces about him, just an honest days work.

Definitely one to watch for those doing work around the house...

Love his impromptu tool reviews as well, if something's up to the task or not, and worthy of your hard earned!

Paul Sellers really got me into this a bit more than I had been before. Back then it was just basic stuff to get things done. He showed me I could build a work bench, which I now use regularly and it is a godsend for all sorts of jobs that aren't even related to wood.

More recently I've been watching a lot of Andy Mac(Gosforth Handyman) and Peter Millard (10 minute workshop).

Their podcast "Measuring up" is also very good.

Back