David Esterly, 1944 - 2019

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
David Esterly passed away earlier this month.

He was a young post-graduate student in London in 1974 when he first saw the work of Grinling Gibbons. It inspired him to such a degree that carving in the manner of Gibbons became his life's work, and the quality and artistry of the work he produced is truly astonishing. His website is well worth a perusal;

https://www.davidesterly.com/

David Esterly 1944 - 2019. R.I.P.

Eric The Viking":2n9h4w26 said:
The BBC made a too-short series on woodworking designers, of whom Gibbons was one. I think Esterly featured in that programme.

Indeed. One of Esterly's earlier commissions was the repair and replacement of some original Gibbons carvings after a fire in Hampton Court palace in (I think) the 1980s.

Putting 'David Esterly' into the You Tube search box pulled up several videos, including this example;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0d9N1YhPdM

Thanks for sharing CC. Incredible level of mastery.
What I find interesting also is that he is sharing the same (very) basic points I learnt about form carving on the 3 day stone carving course I was gifted by the Mrs. Albeit the medium is very different.
(I know right. Amazeballs! Me and Ol' Grindles. Best Buds. Whodathunkit?)
Perception of 3D form is an incredibly hard skill to envisage for most people I think. The sculptor I was with (Kate Semple), modeled in clay first at least for this beginners course. David Esterly obviously spent a lot of time on this stage albeit on CAD.
Interestingly (maybe!) Kate was being questioned a bit by the attendees, quite rightly, on her career and teaching and so on and even though I was just kind of cracking on in the corner she said summat that stopped me dead answering a fairly innocuous question. In all the many hundreds of people she had taught from elderly retirees to junior school pupils she had only met one, just the one mind who saw naturally in 3D. A teenage schoolgirl. Everybody else was trying hard to greater or lesser degree at least to her mind.
Just an aside but worth noting.
The last bit I noticed even on my Wallace and Grommet Stone Carving Adventure was his third point. And he frames it better than I could but it's that bit where all of a sudden the carving is in charge. One minute you are in charge. Then you aren't and you are just there to finish it.

It's fascinating stuff. I don't have the words. There's reasons deeply embedded in the human psyche that there's spirals carved into celtic stone, or totems poles , or graffiti tags on the West Ealing Tube train.
I dunno. Nice thing to think about though.
Thanks for posting Mr C.

Back