Painting a Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking forward to getting my machine all painted up.
Why, Oh why, I didn't do a test on one easy to clean off piece.... I don't know.
Not a happy bunny.
Here is what colour not to paint your machine :oops: :evil: :cry: #-o
This Rustoleum mode paint just looks horrible, nearly OK until you open the door.
Then it looks like an ice pop. (hammer)
SAM_2456.JPG

I wonder if spray enamels are easy to get off, without going through the primer aswell?
It would be lovely if I could just paint the proper stuff on top, but nothing's ever that easy.

More importantly, what's the chances of getting an actual correct colour, if I order a generic
agricultural Claas green paint with the correct RAL number?

Was looking forward to getting working on other projects to get the workshop back in action.
That's not happening now for two effin weeks, till I can afford some.
Annoyed at myself for chanceing my arm with this carp, which wasn't cheap.
Plenty of time to wire wheel it all off again, I suppose.

On a lighter note, at least the isopon primer was good tack for filling the pitting, much thicker than the Lowe's stuff that I've used before.
Moral of the story.... don't try out new paint when tired and overly optimistic (hammer)

A disgruntled Tom

Attachments

• SAM_2456.JPG
    SAM_2456.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 413
As long as its fully cured can't just scratch coat it and treat it as another layer of undercoat Tom? I know paint companies say they only guarantee their own products its mainly to mediate against user error in application.
I'd be tempted to just pick a darkish topcoat and go for it personally . That bright lime undercoat might not suit a light top colour.... If the paint is sound and its just the colour you dont like in effect you are strengthening the finish with far less work. And unnecessary work is a trick of Satan.
:D

Got some Claas machine paint delivered speedily from eBay.
It looks different at various angles, and will hopefully tone down a bit once dry.
I might be making a tall order here, so maybe a bit'o sawdust may help.
Why not have an excuse to get this saw running :)

Awaiting another lick before assembly the day after tomorrow.
This stuff takes some time to cure.
Will post some pics when I get this thing assembled, which is hopefully straight forward.

Tom

Attachments

• Dominator green.JPG
    Dominator green.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 316
  • dominator green2.JPG
    dominator green2.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 316
Little late now I guess but on the 9th last month when you said you kind of liked the look of the sanded machine you should have gone the way of the Americans and their Rat Rods "dirtied it up" a bit more with some paint and shot a clear coat on it. :)

It does have the blockiness of a vending machine so a Coke Red or my preferred, a Pepsi Blue along with a few white pinstripes would look good.

If it is to sell then sticking as close a possible to the original keeps the purist/collector happy. For yourself whatever makes you warm and fuzzy. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Pete

Has it already been almost a month? Time sure does fly by :oops:

At this rate it will take me a veeeeeery long time to finish it :lol:

I really did consider the "Ratrod" look but it would show up a few blemishes I would like to hide behind paint! Plus it would almost have 0 sale value if you ever decided to sell it on.

As promised, but a bit later than expected....
Not like me atall (hammer)
needing a rail .JPG

The colour looks lovely, as its toned down now a good bit.
The camera can't figure out what colour it is though, and no matter what setting I use, it still thinks its illiomunious, or overly limey, like the other previous colour bought in haste. #-o
Probably would need a fancy yolk, if you wanted to go all youtube/instagram on it.
It pleases me anyways, and I'm very glad I sprung for the good stuff. :D
Would look sweet sitting on a nice black mobile base.

Tom

Attachments

• needing a rail .JPG
    needing a rail .JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 301
Back