New to woodturning - advice on dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RickG":1g1zhy5d said:
…...I have a respirator mask, but using the DX1000 I don't find I need anything. It's only when sweeping up I find I need to take care not to breathe the dust in. Which is all good because as a beard owner masks don't always seal well round the face.

I'm afraid you may be somewhat too complacent in not using an adequate face mask.

See this link. I can assure you that the shop dust and chip extraction running at the time was considerable.

Yosarian":g8ortwrg said:
RickG":g8ortwrg said:
The advice given here seems to be about chip extraction and recommends machines with filtration to 30 microns. Is this the same thing? Surely it's the small dust that's the problem?

Yes, absolutely. With only a coarse 30 micron filter its important to keep it outside of the working area. I keep the collection side of my chip extractor in an open sided little wooden 'shelter' attached to the outside of the workshop, with the hose going through the wall.

Your insight is truly valuable to us all, but when amateurs wood-bodgers, like myself on the site, it could be useful if you make this clear. Those of us who work from our garages can only dream of having an out-house to locate the extract in.

Many thanks.

I have two main forms of extraction:

- fine room filter which should cycle the air in the workshop 8-10 times an hour. Volume will fall as filter clogs but will increase removal of small particles.

- a drum extractor connected by 100mm hose to lathe (used when sanding) and blast gates extracting through 63mm hose for general vacuuming, small bandsaw, thicknesser and sander.

I have not measured air quality and particulates (perhaps I should) but it makes a very visible difference to small dust particles (passes the blowing the nose test!).

However this set up probably does not meet H&S standards. Creating fine sawdust between using unpowered tools as a hobby for averagely 1 or 2 hours a week compares with a commercial environment exposure of 30+ hours a week.

If overall risk equals duration of exposure x volume of particulates, for the occasional hobbyist may be acceptable. Other views??

Terry - Somerset":1q7d00wd said:
….
If overall risk equals duration of exposure x volume of particulates, for the occasional hobbyist may be acceptable. Other views??
.. Your lungs, it's up to you if you choose to wait 3-4... 5... 10 yrs. to see if your lungs fail, I've seen a couple of family members die from failed (contaminated) lungs, it ain't pretty.

….
I have not measured air quality and particulates (perhaps I should) but it makes a very visible difference to small dust particles (passes the blowing the nose test!).
That just proves that the mucus in you nasal passages is not trapping any visible particles, and takes no account of how efficient your bodies filter system is or if it is trapping any of those invisible to the naked eye.

- fine room filter which should cycle the air in the workshop 8-10 times an hour. Volume will fall as filter clogs but will increase removal of small particles.
Certainly helps if you are using the shop for final finishing and want the settling fine particle load reduced overnight whilst your finish is curing, but potentially your lungs if not protected are still collecting the same airborne particles as the devices filter and clogging up the same way during the working day.

If you can wipe shop generated dust off any surface with a Tack Cloth then there needs to be caution.

Back