Just bought a Viceroy TDS6 short bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair the bottom shelves would be better with doors on to keep the shavings out. I just copied one I found on pinterest! They are handy for keeping all the allen keys and bits and bobs you need all the time though.

I meant move my bottom shelf, but on second thoughts I'm going to move both my shelves and make something similar to yours :)

I've sized it up for the cutting list but it may be a while, there's a fair queue in front of it :)

Cheers
Andy

Great job on the lathe, that looks like a superb machine.
You are one of those annoying gits who seems to know how to do everything and makes it look easy aren't you!

Woodmonkey":3w0eaeup said:
Great job on the lathe, that looks like a superb machine.
You are one of those annoying gits who seems to know how to do everything and makes it look easy aren't you!
Thanks!
I wish it was that easy :lol:
A lot is trial and error, I do make a lot of cock-ups :)

Well Farmer Giles, I wonder how you are getting along with turning on your viceroy, having spent so much time on the refurbishment.
Are you enjoying your turning?

K

To be honest, I have only done a couple of small jobs on it, fatherhood, DIY and the day job and finishing off the Roubo bench have got in the way. But I did dust if off the other day and was just about to raise the chisel to the bowl I started months ago when I got a call on the dads taxi hotline.

A neighbour bought a lathe recently with the intention of getting into the hobby so I'm hoping that between us we will get a bit more turning done.

I have some machines to sell that need a bit of TLC before they go, and a kitchen to build, after that I will have a lot more time for making wooden things, I hope......

I shall post a pic of the bowl when I finish it, I may be able to get that done over the next few days.

Cheers
Andy

Hah, that sounds familiar. When I retired, I thought I would have plenty of time for turning but not so. I keep telling myself that once the house is finished, and the garden is weeded and well mulched, then I will have time for fun in the shed. But realistically I don't think the house will ever be finished. Still I take advantage of the time available.
I have been following your details regarding removing the spindle of the viceroy, and I have to say it has been really helpful. I am at the stage where the bearings are off and it is time to start fighting with the pulley. It's not the Viceroy lathe actually, it is from a spare viceroy headstock I bought. I might make up a bowl turning lathe from it, or perhaps a dual sided disc sander.
All good fun.
Anyway, enjoy your turning.

K

Hi again all,
Well I managed to get the pulley off the viceroy spindle, and to remove the spindle. My next job I to mount the spindle in the 3 jaw chuck of my Colchester, screw on an adaptor which is slightly off centre, and turn it up accurately. The adaptor is needed because I bought a woodturning chuch with several jaw sets, but it is for a Shopsmith I think. Anyhow it just has a parallel hole to mount onto the headstock, no thread, just a grub screw. I thought to have an adaptor rather than risk boring out and threading the actual chuck, in case of cock ups. So my plan is to run welds along the parallel shaft of the adaptor and then turn it down to suit the hole in the chuck.
Can anyone suggest a better method?

In the meantime my turning continues sporadically, using drive centres and faceplate for the viceroy, and the Axminster evolution chuck on my graduate. I don't know if I mentioned this but I bought the viceroy because I thought the thread was the same as the graduate. Well they are both 1 1/2" but graduate is 6 tpi and viceroy is 8 tpi. Standardisation would be so helpful.

K

Rather than weld I would turn(bore) an interference fit oversize sleeve to go on the spindle and then turn that outer diameter to suit your chuck.
If a 'sleeve' to fit existing spindle would be too thin a wall perhaps turning the spindle down first would be an option.
sleeve.jpg

Attachments

• sleeve.jpg
    sleeve.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 275
graduate_owner":ejrhxzao said:
Thanks Chas. Just out of interest, why would you find this to be a preferable course of action?

K
It can all be done on one piece of kit, the lathe.

I personally always considered weld repairs as a last resort fix for components such as this that may distort, even using aero engine certified TIG welders.

Might just be me being old school.

The spindle will need reducing, there's not a lot of meat there. I think I may have to start with a cylinder about 40mm diameter and turn to fit the chuck, but leave a step as a flange which I can drill and screw into the adapter. Sounds like a lot of turning. I wonder how long it will take.

K

Back