Bandsaw Squeals.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am sure this has been posted on here before some where but thought I would ask any way.

I have a bandsaw that makes a loud squealing noise. It runs ok but when it slows down it screams like mad.

This is my 1st bandsaw so I know nothing about that at all.

I have found the noise to be coming from the motor as I released the belt and turn the shaft and it squeals.

Are there bearings in this that can be replaced or lubricated? It is a record 350.

Thanks all

I did take the belt off and turn the shaft going into the motor and it squeals. Not sure how stiff it is supposed to be but it is rather hard to turn with my fingers.

Bearings displaced fan catching the casing etc.

It should turn freely, time to get it apart and have a look inside.

Pete

if less than 5 years old Record's warranty should cover it being repaired by them if needed, give them a call

Droogs":wqpt14yd said:
if less than 5 years old Record's warranty should cover it being repaired by them if needed, give them a call

Not sure how old it is as I bought it a couple of days ago second hand.

Do they have serial numbers on them that get registered?

Does that model have a braked motor?
if its big it might just be the brake not working properly.
You say the noise is only when you turn it off, therefore its not the motor bearings.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if it has a break or not at this point in time.

It does only squeal when stopping when it is plugged in. I tried spinning the top and bottom wheels manually and it squeals then. Released the tension on the blade and span the top wheel manually and it was fine.

Turned the bottom wheel manually and it is stiff and squeals. So removed the belt and turned the motor shaft and this is stiff and squeals.

Hope that makes sense.

As Sunnybob says it's not the bearing.

First guess is you have too much tension on the blade.

My advice is to make sure the saw is set up correctly. I suspect the blade is tracking backwards when slowing down, and hence grinding on something (case most likely).

Adrian

Sounds like a mechanically Braked Motor, If you start it up without the belt fitted you may be able to detect a definite faint 'clunk' as the brake releases on start up and when it engages on switch off followed immediately by the squeal.

An alternate might be if the motor has a centrifugal starting switch feeding the starting capacitor, (does the motor have two capacitors?) this may be audible as a click when it operates at start and stopping but would not expect it to squeal on slowing down unless it needs attention because it is catching on something.

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. Technical have just got back to me and said it is normal for it to do this ( which is what the nice chap who sold it to me said) and that it is the break and will lessen over time. So, I will just have to put up with it until it gets less as it is loud!

As I know nothing about bandsaws I watched the record power masterclass on you tube and I didn't hear any of these noises so thought I would see if I could stop them.

minor correction... its a BRAKE, not a Break :)

The most common brake is two plates held apart by springs when the motor is energised. the two discs rub when the power is cut, stopping the motor from turning. If the motor on yours takes a long time to stop, the plates or springs are not adjusted properly.

If the noise is really loud, and goes on for more than a couple of seconds I would get back to record and tell them its unacceptable, both on noise and safety grounds.

Back