Painting a Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Pretty soon I've got a machine to paint, more specifically this Multico TH Thicknesser.

ewKaSuP.jpg

Now, it doesn't look anything like this anymore as pretty much all the paint has been removed now and the machine has been overhauled (There will be a thread down the line on this! :))but I'll use this image to give people an idea of what it looked like before (A really terrible job of a horrible bluey-greenish tinge of Hammerite) I'm not really after any advice on what type of paint... etc to paint it with as I've got that pretty much nailed down anyway but I'm more after suggestions on colours for it.

Under the Multico serial tag was the original colour:
QARkFBD.png

Kind of an interesting dark military-esque Hammerite green, not a huge fan of "machine green" anyway so I won't be using that colour.

I was thinking of perhaps a light blue/off-white colour scheme, blue sheet metal side panels, top castings, odd parts internally and dust hood with white main castings and attached panels (Front and back) with white on the bed extensions. But I'm also feeling this particular combination has been done to death both by manufacturers and machine restorers now that it might look a bit naff. I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas for a good combination, I might just end up painting it blue/white anyway but I'm just interested in having a look at different options before buying all the paint.

Can't say I've any got suggestions on the colour, but a suggestion on a way to go about it.

Consider taking plenty of snaps of your machine in situ, and then put an undercoat on it.
It might make the choice easier.

You might possibly find Isopon zinc 182 primer on discount, I got mine in a car parts place.
Tom

Personally I'm a fan of boring one colour paint jobs - simple never goes out of style. I recommend having a look in your local agricultural suppliers at tractor paint - I use sparex stuff on my restorations and its very good. Quick drying and once its fully hardened its bulletproof.

Rustoleum do a smooth finish paint series and one of the colours is Oiled Rubbed Bronze, I used it for the outside of our 1890s rolled top bath after I had re-enameled the inside. looks great they have a good range of colours in the spray tins worth having a look, even if only used to accent parts of the machine

I rather like all white machines, shows up any problems quickly and is nice and bright. RAL9010 is what I’ve used a few times.

Droogs":28uadnhz said:
Rustoleum do a smooth finish paint series and one of the colours is Oiled Rubbed Bronze, I used it for the outside of our 1890s rolled top bath after I had re-enameled the inside. looks great they have a good range of colours in the spray tins worth having a look, even if only used to accent parts of the machine

That would be an interesting colour for a woodworking machine :shock:

I'll be having an industrial direct adhesion paint put on it, at least that's what I've been told I'm having put on it :lol: I haven't got much choice in that department! I think it doesn't require any primers or undercoats and is pretty hard wearing so should work well.

I like white too. There have been some really smart looking restorations done on Graduate lathes and old pllar drills finished in white. You can go pearl / metal flake white if you want to get fancy.
There's a guy across the pond who refurbishes old British woodworking machinery - Wadkin and the like. He does a lot of his machines up in a darker grey and they look superb...
Or just go the Martin route for fun and graffitti it up - it'll make you smile every day :)

Even though I'd like to get some Claas seed green for my tablesaw, I don't think it would look the same bright colour inside the dark workshop, and just look the same as the rest of the common light dull greens.

I think white paint might be a good choice for me, as I'm guessing it won't yellow over time if it's in the dark, and has good Isopon zinc 182 primer underneath?

Would look great with some Claas seed green accents, as it would brighten up the green somewhat,
but for an extra 30 quid,
I might leave that for another day, when I've acquired more iron.

Member Spifitul done a nice resto on his Startrite TA 145 in white

startrite-ta-145-total-overhaul-t114480.html?hilit=startrite%20175

[Edit] How greasy can one of those thicknessers get though?
That would look horrible and add to the horrible yellowing you get with some machines like with some minimax stuff, I'm guessing were originally white.

Is it me or does white paint look better on machines with sharp corners?

It seems a very light grey might be more forgiving for some machines.
The missus has enough of all this machine painting malarkey

Sideways":3t3oh92h said:
There's a guy across the pond who refurbishes old British woodworking machinery - Wadkin and the like. He does a lot of his machines up in a darker grey and they look superb...

Jack Forsberg? He has some excellent restored machines.

Sideways":3t3oh92h said:
Or just go the Martin route for fun and graffitti it up - it'll make you smile every day :)

I used to use Martin spindle moulders daily, it would be sacrilege to cover them in grafitti! :lol: Truly next level machines.

Ttrees":3t3oh92h said:
How greasy can one of those thicknessers get though?
That would look horrible and add to the horrible yellowing you get with some machines like with some minimax stuff, I'm guessing were originally white.

They can leak grease from the feed roller housings (This once suffered from a lack of grease!) but that's about it. Resin can build up and cook on in places such as the cutterblock bearing housings though but all of these would be in areas you cannot see without pulling panels off anyway so I'm not too bothered about it, it will be a working machine in the end, hopefully not an ornament! :)

O0wyaWg.jpg

It kinda looks cool in its bare metal state, to be honest!

My old drill Trevanion. Two tone Drill named Rudy.
[youtube]IbqiCxEIeEo[/youtube]

OH040yh.jpg

2vhgf7p.jpg

IzP4C9Z.jpg

Goosewing Grey (Colchester) and Myford Grey.
8)

Bm101":1tqs4nac said:
My old drill Trevanion. Two tone Drill named Rudy.

Rudy is truly a lovely drill. An old Meddings by the looks? You really can't beat the classic colours for real classic machines like that.

Forgot to say, I saw on instagram recently that bruce kenneth has painted his Wadkin PK in neon pink.... :D

TFrench":cn2d5k02 said:
Forgot to say, I saw on instagram recently that bruce kenneth has painted his Wadkin PK in neon pink.... :D

I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not but sure enough! https://www.instagram.com/brucekennethdesigns/?hl=en

Can't say it's what I would've chosen :lol: Doesn't look bad though! Reminds me of the time we painted a lawn mower hot pink for a local garden machine centre in aid of breast cancer research. I think they've still got it on display!

bm101, That drill looks fantastic.
I really like that light grey you've chosen.

Had to look up the goosewing grey and it appears to be a Harrison colour?
The Colchester colour on the website is titled ash grey.
Can you clarify if this is right?

Nice job cleaning the thicknesser Trevanion
I'm not finding this all to easy on my rusty machine.
Round 2 today

Tom

Ttrees":7dd8ae57 said:
Nice job cleaning the thicknesser Trevanion
I'm not finding this all to easy on my rusty machine.

It’s surprising how much paint will come off with just a 1” Marples chisel :D

Tom you are quite right. Apologies. It is indeed a Harrison colour. How strange. I think I was debating between the two and at some point got confused. The tins only have the paint name not the machine name so I have blithely ventured down the path of false assumption ever since it would appear. :D

Latest posts

Back