GOT and other TV series

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
73?!

giphy.gif

You must have some memory. I'll stick you in my people-to-never-argue-with-because-they-remember-everything list. I call it a list but, until today, it consisted of only one name (SWMBO) :lol:

Does anyone else have a real issue remembering character names? ... I've been watching since season one, and for the life of me I only know a few of the main characters names. It's shocking. Yet I can still remember the license reg of the car I had before my previous two. WTF!

I started that quiz and then gave up as I was too embarrased to carry on. It may as well have been in Chinese.

transatlantic":2l6t03df said:
Does anyone else have a real issue remembering character names? ... I've been watching since season one, and for the life of me I only know a few of the main characters names. It's shocking.

Walk of shame for you.

But yes, tend to agree, too many names and too many characters.

I've seen this thread grow and would like to chime in please. I've never seen a single episode but am looking for a decent box set to watch. To summarise what's the general gist of it? Is there drama and suspense and do you warm to a few characters? Ta [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2abxqds2 said:
I've seen this thread grow and would like to chime in please. I've never seen a single episode but am looking for a decent box set to watch. To summarise what's the general gist of it? Is there drama and suspense and do you warm to a few characters? Ta [WINKING FACE]

Plenty of drama, plenty of suspense, plenty of twists, plenty of violence, plenty of adult content :wink:

A lot of people are put off by the fantasy aspect but to be honest it really doesn't lean too heavily on it, to quote one of the actors "It's the most real TV show at the moment that also features Dragons". It's not a naff fantasy that you'd normally expect, it's gritty at times, funny at times and sad at times. Watch the first season, the first couple of episodes are slow because they're introducing so many characters but the story does pick up quite quickly.

If you put aside 72 hours before Monday you might be able to catch up in time to watch the finale :lol:

ColeyS1":1odhvq0f said:

I think you warm to hating (multiple) characters. Sad to say, but you do do a little victory dance when they exit stage left. There's also plenty likeable ones that meet an early end to make you realise that nobody is safe from the writer's axe.

Does sound worth a bit of investigating. Thankyou

ColeyS1":lgpzf1ba said:

Imagine Eastenders in costume and you've got the gist of it.

MrTeroo":27u95euy said:
ColeyS1":27u95euy said:

Please don't imagine it as anything like that.

Transatlantic and Trevanion summed it up well. Some amazing characters you'll root for, others, as mentioned, you'll be happy to see dispatched in many varied and imaginative ways.

From Wiki:

"Set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos, Game of Thrones has several plots and a large ensemble cast, but follows three story arcs. The first arc is about the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, and follows a web of alliances and conflicts among the noble dynasties either vying to claim the throne or fighting for independence from it. The second story arc focuses on the last descendant of the realm's deposed ruling dynasty, who has been exiled and is plotting a return to the throne. The third story arc follows the Night's Watch, a brotherhood defending the realm against the fierce peoples and legendary creatures of the North.

Game of Thrones has attracted record viewership on HBO and has a broad, active, international fan base. It has been acclaimed by critics, particularly for its acting, complex characters, story, scope, and production values, although its frequent use of nudity and violence (including sexual violence) has been criticized. The series has received 47 Primetime Emmy Awards, the most by a drama series, including Outstanding Drama Series in 2015, 2016, and 2018. Its other awards and nominations include three Hugo Awards for Best Dramatic Presentation (2012–2014), a 2011 Peabody Award, and five nominations for the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama (2012 and 2015–2018)."

Other good binge viewing include:

The Wire
Homeland
Bosch
Engrages/Spiral (new series shortly)
Ozark
True Detective
B Bad
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Narcos
Etc...

Trevanion":q4guquui said:
Noel":q4guquui said:
Etc...

Boardwalk Empire is also an excellent watch if we're talking about other shows.

A series I've been meaning to catch up with, thanks for the reminder.

I see there's a petition to remake GoT S8, can see some merit in the complaints. There is certainly less substance and depth in this series, possibly due to the lack of GRR Martin material to base the story upon but still an addictive watch.

Noel":2tz4zax3 said:
I see there's a petition to remake GoT S8, can see some merit in the complaints. There is certainly less substance and depth in this series, possibly due to the lack of GRR Martin material to base the story upon but still an addictive watch.

At almost 1M signatures :shock:

The writing is definitely less in-depth than previous seasons but they were working from thousands of pages of excellent source material to pick and choose the best bits to show in previous seasons. But GRRM had started the first book (A Game of Thrones) in 1991 only to finish it in 1996! The last GOT book GRRM published was in 2011, When the production for the TV show began! The writers could've asked him for guidance on what direction he wants it to end but I think he's rather indecisive in that manner because he can take the time to be indecisive you only have to look at the draft of his first book to see how much the story changed!

B9AcViAIIAAcpcy.jpg

B9AcWENIAAAkSza.jpg

B9AcTYHIUAAocJV.jpg

I can't blame D&D for not being detailed as GRRM because they simply don't have the time to come up with really interesting in-depth details like he has over the past 25 years or so.

Noel":3e62dzbr said:
MrTeroo":3e62dzbr said:
ColeyS1":3e62dzbr said:

Please don't imagine it as anything like that.

Transatlantic and Trevanion summed it up well. Some amazing characters you'll root for, others, as mentioned, you'll be happy to see dispatched in many varied and imaginative ways.

From Wiki:

"Set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos, Game of Thrones has several plots and a large ensemble cast, but follows three story arcs. The first arc is about the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, and follows a web of alliances and conflicts among the noble dynasties either vying to claim the throne or fighting for independence from it. The second story arc focuses on the last descendant of the realm's deposed ruling dynasty, who has been exiled and is plotting a return to the throne. The third story arc follows the Night's Watch, a brotherhood defending the realm against the fierce peoples and legendary creatures of the North.

Game of Thrones has attracted record viewership on HBO and has a broad, active, international fan base. It has been acclaimed by critics, particularly for its acting, complex characters, story, scope, and production values, although its frequent use of nudity and violence (including sexual violence) has been criticized. The series has received 47 Primetime Emmy Awards, the most by a drama series, including Outstanding Drama Series in 2015, 2016, and 2018. Its other awards and nominations include three Hugo Awards for Best Dramatic Presentation (2012–2014), a 2011 Peabody Award, and five nominations for the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama (2012 and 2015–2018)."

The Wire
Homeland
Bosch
Ozark
True Detective
B Bad
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Narcos
Etc...
Thanks for the recommendations Noel. I've seen all of homeland and some of 'the wire' years ago. I'm almost embarrassed to say I watched the entire 'white collar' from Netflix in under a month. I was hooked, characters were great, the ending not so brilliant.

ColeyS1 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations Noel. I've seen all of homeland and some of 'the wire' years ago. I'm almost embarrassed to say I watched the entire 'white collar' from Netflix in under a month. I was hooked, characters were great, the ending not so brilliant.

Final series of Homeland out next month I think, Taliban and Afghanistan for Carrie and Saul.

It ends where it started.
The Free Folk walk into the woods.

Mostly good, bit soppy the final scene but as somebody commented somewhere:

Who would have thought it? After 8 series we end up with a self appointed tory council with Jacob Rees-Mogg as the titular king and an independent Scotland ruled by a sombre redhead.

I really didn't understand how the Southern lords would be happy with a weirdo Northern king when the North just decided to naff off and do its own thing.

In the books, the heir to the throne was a young boy being shepherded by Lord Verys.
Never taken up by the TV series.

Rod

Strange finale. Two things I didnt really get (spoilers):

Presumably, Jon confessed (without it being shown) about killing Daenerys. Due to Drogon flying off with the 'evidence'. I found it very hard to believe Grey worm (or any of the unsullied or dothraki) would have let him live.
A trial by combat between Jon and Grey worm would have been good (with Jon winning of course :D ).
Bran becoming King...errmmm...just no.

Noel":2qzdb6gn said:
MrTeroo":2qzdb6gn said:
ColeyS1":2qzdb6gn said:

The Wire
Homeland
Bosch
Ozark
True Detective
B Bad
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Narcos
Etc...

Some great recommendations there. Apart from Narcos (only watched season 1, enjoyed it though) and Spiral (never seen it yet) I've watched all of those and thoroughly enjoyed them.
If you have access to Netflix, The Rain and The Dark are also pretty good.
I dont mind admitting I enjoyed both seasons of the OA, which puts me in a very select group (just me) among friends and family :mrgreen:

Getting back to GOT, the general consensus is that it was rushed. I'm just glad it wasnt drawn out for an eternity. I only started watching in 2014 so I can understand people watching from 2011 feeling short changed.
I used to be massive Walking Dead fan. Its the only US tv programme (along with Dexter and Homeland) that I saw the 1st episode screened 'live' and watched religiously. Well I did until last year, my god they are milking that programme to death.
Dont start me off on the Dexter finale :evil:
Really looking forward to Homeland final season, however I'll definitely be sad to see it go.

Back