What kind/brand of runners for a sliding box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLJ

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have this catering-style sink unit installed (see pic) in my kitchen and was pondering how to cover the open space. At first I thought of putting doors on it, but I don't fancy that as they would be too wide (it's a metre wide, so two doors would be 500mm each). Then I had what I think is a better idea, which would be a plywood box, on runners, that sits on the shelf and slides out like a drawer, with the right hand side just blanked off with another ply panel.

Of course, there's no 'sides', as it's an open design, so my runners would need to be underneath and screwed to the metal shelf (or maybe not. Ideas welcome, obviously!)

Does anyone know of where to find such runners or even what they're called? Or could I use regular drawer ones? Most ones that I've seen assume you're making a drawer in a cabinet with sides and that they will be mounted like that.

Thanks for any pointers.

kitchen sink 9 lsr.jpg

Attachments

• kitchen sink 9 lsr.jpg
    kitchen sink 9 lsr.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 266
With the chances of water splashing being very high, and damaging any wood, I would just get a large plastic storage box with a lid, as sold by ikea and many others.
Lets face it, youll never make that look pretty. :roll: :lol:

Well, I would have to respectfully disagree with you there, sir. There's plenty of waterproof varnishes out there, and in fact I've got a two part Sadolin one that I'm using at the minute and it's perfect for the job. Secondly, a birch ply box and panel would look really good, if designed right, especially as my cupboard doors will be birch ply to match. Just needs a bit of imagination and the solving of a couple of technical issues, such as what kind of runners to get.

Thanks for your help, though.

from your pic it appears to be a catering kitchen. If it is, then staff just dont care about splashing, or banging doors shut with their knees and boots :roll:

If thats wrong and you and your family are the only people to use it, then you have a chance. :D

Hi. Yes, those look like the right kind of thing. They look like they would still need some sort of 'sides' to mount to, or am I wrong? I'm just trying to get my head around how they mount. Can they literally just be screwed to a horizontal base with nothing around it? There's no reason I couldn't fit some batons or similar if needs be, I suppose. Sorry if I sound stupid! Just making sure before I order any. Thanks.

sunnybob":1nfe3g7b said:
from your pic it appears to be a catering kitchen. If it is, then staff just dont care about splashing, or banging doors shut with their knees and boots :roll:

If thats wrong and you and your family are the only people to use it, then you have a chance. :D

Yes, I could have made that clearer - it's my own domestic kitchen. I bought it because I like the deep sink size and heavy duty construction of it, plus it looks good, apart from the obvious open front issue, which I'm attempting to solve (with help from folks here). It might seem a bit weird, but I like to be different! :)

Definitely different. I assume you live alone? most females would sue for divorce before putting up with that in their kitchen, (hammer)

I have far too much experience with catering equipment, absolutely none with kitchen cupboards, so I'll quit while I'm ahead. 8) 8)

Haha. I do, as it happens. Yeah, it's a bit 'industrial', but of course this is why I'm planning to make it look nicer. The ladies will love it when it's finished, I promise you ;)

just short of 50 years of marriage, and 30 years working on commercial and catering equipment, dealing with 100's of women that are always complaining about the equipment in the kitchens they work in :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D :D
Let me know how you get on. =D> =D>

Due to the nature of what I do for a living,.....I'm not going to say much, apart from I'm with Bob on this one, Sorry SLJ....!

Fine for a Utility Room area, but not something I would ever suggest for a domestic kitchen....!

SLJ":38x42ehr said:
Well, your opinions are duly noted and I shall happily ignore them ;)
:D lol good man! I’d be really interested in seeing what you come up with SLJ as that kind of industrial look has some potential. For the record though; my wife would hate it.

SLJ":ojcyfdkk said:
Well, your opinions are duly noted and I shall happily ignore them ;)
Too right!

If done well(!) it will look good. Some people have no imagination!

I'd make an L shaped box and mount the drawers in that. Keep your gaps consistent from the sink/legs (25mmish?)From there your choice of runners is better, Grass Dynamo would be my choice. Push to open would be a good choice so you don't have handles to bump into.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thank you! Yeah, I mean, I get it. It's not a look that everyone is going to appreciate, but hey.

Anyway, it looks like you're saying what I was alluding to - build some 'sides' so that you can use drawer runners in the normal way? Am I understanding you right?

As for the handle situation, my other cupboard doors will probably have a round hole instead of a handle, so I might do that.

Ahh, you bunch of naysayers :wink:

SLJ - let's see how it looks in the end - please post the pics here (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Latest posts

Back