Recommendation for Chuck and Jaws for Union Graduate Classic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldfingerFactory

Reaction score
Hi There!

New to Forum and just as new to woodturning here!

I work at a small social enterprise workshop training people in West London.
We've just been donated an old Union Graduate Lathe that I need to convert to a 1ph machine.

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good chuck and set of jaws for bowl turning for this machine...and where I might find them.

I believe it has a 1.5" 6tpi LH thread inboard, I'm guessing it's the same on the outboard - haven't been able to check yet as there's a particularly stubborn plate screwed onto it.

Any help, advice hugely welcome! We're hoping to turn little items from reclaimed wood!

All the best to you all.

Alex

As an owner of a union graduate I would say the best chuck would be either the Axminster SK114 or the Sorby Patriot. They both come in the 1 1/5 x 6 tpi thread that is needed for the graduate, the sorby one is even dual threaded which means it can be used on the inboard and outboard side of the lathe. Any more questions just PM me, there is a graduate group you are welcome to join which is great for questions and spare parts.

Hi Alex, normally the inboard thread on the Graduate is 1 1/2" RH and the outboard is 1 1/2" LH. The Tool Post can supply a suitable chuck and combined RH/LH adapter. However, I have heard that their quality (Versachuck) is not the best. I would suggest you kepp an eye out on ebay or similar, for a used chuck and equipment to suit your Graduate.
Regards Tudor

Retire2004":2035k9lw said:
…. I have heard that their quality (Versachuck) is not the best....

Don't know what the current manufacturing standard or quality is but I have no complaints, problems or mechanical niggles with the VersaChuck I have, (I bought it second hand some years ago) and it has regular use.

Not quite up to the cosmetic standard of the Old Axminster Precision Chucks I have but runs them a close second.

I have the Axminster evo!ution chuck which is threaded for right and left threads. Not dheap though, around £200 plus jaws. Brilliant chuck - stainless steel, good quality

K

Thanks all for the great advice. I've got lots of reading to do.

Just bought Keith Rowleys book as a start.

I think I might go for the Axminster SK114 but I'll do some more research on the other types mentioned in this thread.

Thanks again!

All the best,

I have both Robert Sorby Patriot and the Versa chuck and find both very good. The Versa chuck I have jaw carriers which enables me to use both Axminster and Soby jaws on it as well as other manufacturers jaws

Latest posts

Back