New Hare Intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a recent Intarsia I made, the image was an old birthday card i found so I made a pattern from it and seems to work ok.
Its made from an old Teak coffee table (charity shop find) and some Sycamore from our land and a bit of some very dark wood that looks like chocolate with lovely grain but haven't a clue what sort it is, again it was from a charity shop find (magazine rack) lol don't have much of it so just use it for in the ears/eyes etc.
My workshop is in a mess as we were in the process of organising when our plans suddenly change last year so will try and get it sorted a bit at a time. I have been employing someone from the farm to sort the gardens but its a big job and bit ashamed to see after all Ruth's hard work over the years but its a long term project and I am creating a special place for a carved bench and her favourite flowers etc which i'd hope she approved of :) .
If anyone wants a copy of the Hare pattern then email me and i will send it via email.
Cheers :)

Attachments

• NEW RUNNING HARE 2019 (Large).jpg
    NEW RUNNING HARE 2019 (Large).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 518
Crikey. I have missed your work.
I can't even spell itersparsia never mind try it.
Excellent to see you posting.
Makes me happy.
Cheers fella.
Best regards
Chris

That's amazing! I'm staring at the different wood around the eye and am just baffled how its done so neatly. Wow,just wow

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Welcome back Claymore. Great to see your intarsia once more , 'twas missed mi amigo. If you don't mind , I'll just lift the general lines of this one (as I can't hope to duplicate to nearly your standard). I'll simplify it and pass it on to my buddy Linda , who loves happy little bunnies because she is a big Bob Ross (the T.V painting guy ) fan. Again , nice to see you back.

I am just trying to make a single file i can email to people of this Hare, my folder has about 8 different jpegs so you can just print sections and then combine to make a full Hare but not sure how to do it......i will contact Phill (Orkney) as he's a computer whizz. I'm also a big Bob Ross fan Mike very relaxing guy to watch.
The eye is pretty easy if you make multiple images and then stick each one on a different type of wood and then cut them out then they all slot together. For the white catchlight in the eye I don't paint it on its actually a bit of white plastic cocktail stick...just drill a 1.5mm hole and glue a bit in then when you shape the eyeball its just a case of rounding it off and the white dot stays nice and bright and won't rub off.
Cheers

If you put two of those side by side overnight, do you end up with another seven, come the morning? ;)
Beautiful work fella!

Claymore":142r0z8n said:
I am just trying to make a single file i can email to people of this Hare, my folder has about 8 different jpegs so you can just print sections and then combine to make a full Hare but not sure how to do it......i will contact Phill (Orkney) as he's a computer whizz. I'm also a big Bob Ross fan Mike very relaxing guy to watch.
The eye is pretty easy if you make multiple images and then stick each one on a different type of wood and then cut them out then they all slot together. For the white catchlight in the eye I don't paint it on its actually a bit of white plastic cocktail stick...just drill a 1.5mm hole and glue a bit in then when you shape the eyeball its just a case of rounding it off and the white dot stays nice and bright and won't rub off.
Cheers

Thanks for this offer Brian. I have a load to do at the moment and with helping out at the 'Shed' and instructing the scroll saw users I have a big workload.
If I may can I get back to you with this (or something similar) as a project for the 'Shedders' do at their own pace etc. ??? I feel it would be a worthwhile project. Could be judged after a reasonable period and all sales proceeds to go to 'Shed' funds ??
Thanks for the inspiration.

take care
Don W

Fantastic work yet again Brian. So glad to see you back and I hope all is as well as can be and I think a special spot in the garden is a fantastic idea.
best regards

donwatson":3e1a9aff said:
Claymore":3e1a9aff said:
Cheers

Thanks for this offer Brian. I have a load to do at the moment and with helping out at the 'Shed' and instructing the scroll saw users I have a big workload.
If I may can I get back to you with this (or something similar) as a project for the 'Shedders' do at their own pace etc. ??? I feel it would be a worthwhile project. Could be judged after a reasonable period and all sales proceeds to go to 'Shed' funds ??
Thanks for the inspiration.

take care
Don W

If I can help in anyway just give me a shout anytime, and anything that raises funds is a good idea
Cheers :)

Thanks for offer Brian. Funding is a big problem so we have to try everything to keep an interest in the 'Shed' and not upset local tradesmen by taking their livelihood away e.g. we can make planters etc. for the local community as the source for these was China (via local garden centres) but we don't dig gardens as there are locals who cover that. I will be in touch when I have talked with our group on Tuesday.

take care
Don W

Brilliant intarsia, and wonderful that you are back posting. I have so missed your displays of the items you have cut. I have not thought of cruising the charity shops for wooden items to recycle, but I have always picked up interesting coloured pieces of timber when I’ve visited wood sellers.
Good to see you back in the shop.

Cheers John its great to be back butchering wood lol. Aye charity shops and recycling shops are great from buying decent wooden stuff....I have lost count of the number of solid Oak dining tables (drop leaf) I have bought and usually pay around £10-£15 for them I also ask the charity shops if they ever get any damaged wooden stuff to put them to one side and i buy them which saves them having to take them to the recycling centre.....a cup marked table top or scratches mean nothing to me as once the table is cut up and planed its brand new Oak for my projects. Top tip if your looking for old tables check underneath the top to see if the wood grain matches the top if it doesn't chances are its veneered chipboard or plywood. One thing to look out for is piano keys....Ebony a couple of years ago they were throwing an old piano onto the bonfire in the village and when the guy smashed it up i got the keys they aren't massive but useful for making eye's etc.
Sorry for my rambling but its been a while since i shared any info so tend to waffle a bit (tell me to shut up if i do I won't be offended lol)
Cheers
Brian

Nice to see you posting again Brian. I learnt a lot from your post in the past involving intarsia. love the hare.

Ebony piano keys. Nah. Only plastic round our end lol. Same as charity shops, all veneer. Used your look underneath tip. May drop lucky one day.

I even chopped up a corner cabinet we had in our house for years thinking it was mahogany and it turned out to be compressed cardboard. Couldn’t believe it.

I’ve not posted on here for a while as I have been poorly. I still like to come and browse the posts though.

Managed to make a couple of intarsia projects so will have to post some pictures soon.
All the best
Andy

Back