Itching for Friday...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Well, seeing how the entire country was out of stock of the big Fox and after a long chat with the nice chap on the Henry Taylor Tools stand, decided I couldn't wait and have put in my order for the Axminster M950 and the Axminster Slow Running Grinder :D :D :D

Arranged delivery for Friday and taken the day off so I can sit by the front door in eager anticipation of an early delivery.

Also ordered the Supernova chuck from Turners Retreat which is on special offer with an extra set of spigot jaws. :D :D

Only trouble is that we're away for the weekend, have promised SWMBO that I'd do a load of stuff on Friday and, as I work away from home probably only get minimal playing time before I get back the weekend after. :(

Never mind though.
I've got a lathe coming. Wooooo Whooooo. :D :D :D :D

Will let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers,
Barry

Who finds it very hard to resist looking at the catalogues and drooling over all that extra lovely stuff I can now buy.
:lol: :lol: [/url]

Way to go, Mudman! :wink:
Nice choice of kit you have there, particularly the slow running grinder - I'm sure it will serve you well. Bet the time between now and Friday passes agonisingly slowly. :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Trev.

mudman":gqy76871 said:
Itching for Friday
Apply liberal quantity of lathe, chuck, grinder etc until itching reduced I gather. Great cure. :wink:

Nice one, Barry. 8) Slow running grinder eh? Fancy. What tools have you got? Something from Henry Taylor perhaps? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

That sounds like the right prescription to get rid of that itching, have fun! - whilst you're at it though i'd highly recommend you order one of the visors from axminster aswell - not the airshield things but the flip down visor - i've discovered that no matter where i stand the shaving go straight for my face, and down my collar.... :?

jim

Yep, not clock watching now but calendar watching. Off home tommorrow evening and by Friday morning that itching will be getting quite intense... :oops:

You're right Alf, I did get a couple of Henry Taylor tools. I've picked up some old Marples tools from eBay and the market, but, on the nice man's advice, bought a spindle and a bowel gouge. I have a belated birthday pressie of a roughing-out gouge promised by my sister to come at some point. I've also made a deep-hollowing tool under the wise tutelage of my turning teacher. Also picked up a slight-second Robert Sorby captive ring tool for a tenner at the show. Just need to make a handle for it so I guess that will be the first thing I'll be doing, after quite a bit of sharpening.

I decided to pay the bit extra for the grinder so that I won't run the risk of burning any carbon steel tools I pick up second hand. I was sorely tempted by the Tormek but my little flexible friend was starting to complain and my wife is likely to start looking at jewelery above a certain limit. Anyway, had a flash of inspiration for a simple grinding jig that could be adapted for all those complicated grinds that I fancy having a go at.

Oooh, that itch just got worse! :shock:
Hope they deliver on time. :wink:

Cheers,
Barry

mudman":bd82vcwb said:
a bowel gouge
The mind boggles :shock: (I know it's a typo, but still it boggles :wink: )

mudman":bd82vcwb said:
Anyway, had a flash of inspiration for a simple grinding jig that could be adapted for all those complicated grinds that I fancy having a go at.
Any time you feel the urge to share, feel free...

Cheers, Alf

Bowel gouge, oh dear... :oops:

And the sad thing is that I misspelt it and corrected it before submitting it. :?

Sure will share if I ever get around to trying to make it. And if it works of course. :wink:

Remind me to tell you about my homemade chip collector that is made in true Blue Peter style from a detergent bottle...

Cheers,
Barry

Damn! Still not here yet. :x

Drop 85 of 96 apparently so late afternoon.
Probably right when I go and pick the kids up. :x

If I get back and find a little white card on the mat.... :evil:

Really itching now...

Barry

Mud,
There's nothing worse than waiting for those "Lovely delivery men" to turn up-it's as if they know just how much you want that parcel and are determined to make you wait.
Hang in there,
Nailbitingly,
Philly :wink:

I reckon they're waiting around the corner. Smoking a few fags with a thermos of coffee. As soon as I leave the house to get a loaf of bread. Pow!
Engine on.
Scream up to house, screech of brakes.
Delivery man man vaults over the gate, small white card in hand.
Runs down path and in one swift movement rings the doorbell and pushes card through letter box at the same time.
Runs back down path, vaults over gate, and leaps back into the cab, door slams, van screams off down road.
Inside van Fred says to Stan. "Well, done! You got it down to only 10.4 seconds! That beats Reg and Jim's record by 0.3 of a second. Looks like the beers are on them tonight."

Okay, so I could find something better to do, but that would mean going out to the workshop and I may not hear the doorbell. :(

Itchy Itchy.

Barry

Heck Barry, you have got it bad. :shock: :lol: What's worse is that I s'pose, once it arrives, we won't get to know 'cos you'll be down in the workshop play- er, creating. :roll: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Guess what?
Didn't turn up. :( :cry: :evil:
Had rather stern words with the man from TNT.
Promised to be here before 9am tommorrow. :roll:
Trouble is, off to Tenby then so won't even get a chance to unpack. :cry:

Latest posts

Back