Chasing an M18 thread without a die.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Going to be putting my radius arms back on tomorrow but only just found out tonight that one of them needs the thread reworking. Alas I don't have a die and getting one tomorrow is a tall order.
Do you reckon filing a notch or two into the old nut will suffice as a die?
Cheers Andy

If you have a suitable nut I would cut two slots into the thread, a little deeper than the thread, with a junior hacksaw and then treat it as a die. I often end up doing it the other way around making a tap out of a bolt by cutting a slot in it, usually works for me.

If you have a nut the right size, just cut the nut in half across the ends so you get two (half nuts)
Place them on a good bit of thread then clamp with a molegrips or similar.
Unwind the nut and threads should now be straightened.

Hope that helps

woodfarmer":1uxlvi69 said:
If you have a nut the right size, just cut the nut in half across the ends so you get two (half nuts)
Place them on a good bit of thread then clamp with a molegrips or similar.
Unwind the nut and threads should now be straightened.

Hope that helps
Now THAT i like!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Many thanks for suggestions 8)

In the end we found a metric thread restoring tool and I mackled up this contraption. Clamp and rotate.
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_205224_243.JPG
    IMG_20190331_205224_243.JPG
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 585
I thought you might have one of those files in a box somewhere! I'd have leant you mine, but it's Whitworth and a bit too far away. :)

AndyT":1u8qwtyj said:
I thought you might have one of those files in a box somewhere! I'd have leant you mine, but it's Whitworth and a bit too far away. :)

Thanks for the offer Andy, as they say "it's the thought that counts" :D
This was my brothers and your right I have one, mine was always on one of the lathes in the living room. BUT I made the mistake of actually putting it in one of the box's, now I can't find it :roll: #-o :oops: :evil:
Made up for it by going straight to the spring compressors though, 2nd box down, 1st stack on the landing in less than 2 minutes. :wink: :lol:

Pilgrimage to Stanley's sale this month perchance?
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":1w4jqf82 said:
one of the lathes in the living room.

How many lathes do you have in the living room?! If only I could get away with that.

That "2 half nuts" idea by woodfarmer above is brilliant. Never heard of that before. It's an ideal "bodger in a fix - get out of jail free" card. Thanks for the post, I'll remember that one!

... or just use a small triangular file for localised repairs to metric and many imperial 60 degree threads. Be careful not to use on Whitworth 55 degree thread forms.

phil.p":1kzp9eu4 said:
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+universal-thread-repair-tool+RW1097

I'd not seen one of these before ............... I wonder how well they work. :D

They do work well, will clean even concrete from threads, but will not cut a new thread.

Bod

Back