Gauge / Scribe stand part

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a gauge / scribe stand (is that the name!) which is missing a part. I'd like to find one on ebay so I can get this whole again and use it (I'm a total metalwork noob!). I've no idea what this bit is called, which sort of makes setting up a good automated search difficult!

Alternatively, I could buy another whole unit, but then taking parts off that seems wasteful and just creates another incomplete stand. I don't suppose anyone has such a thing available to sell?

Anyway, advice would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• s-l1600-(20).jpg
    s-l1600-(20).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 396
That tool is called a scribing block (that's what I was taught anyway). I use mine regularly in conjunction with a Vee block, a precision rule (6 or 12 inch), a clamp to hold the rule to the Vee block so that it's dead vertical, and a surface plate (in my case a piece of thick glass)

You use it by setting the scriber to whatever dimension you need on the ruler, then transferring that dimension to the work piece, scratching a line. Used carefully they're very accurate.

I've never seen the scriber clamp for sale on it's own and I guess it would be purely a matter of luck if you found one, most probably in a junk shop,etc.

I'd suggest you keep the scribing block to use (without the clamp) for example, as a stand for a DTI (Dial Test Indicator) which generally come with their own clamp which should fit your own block. DTIs are also very useful tools both for setting out and checking (round for example).

Plus simply buy a new scribing block complete with clamp. These days I guess the best place to look for a "new" one would be in flea markets, junk shops, etc, and shouldn't be too expensive because a lot of people these days use digital height gauges instead of scribing blocks for marking out.

HTH

I know them as a surface gauge but scribing block is as prevalent I think.
I remember making my own in college, might still have it somewhere.

with AES on buying a new, unless you want to make one. 15 quid, you are unlikely to get the swivel for less. seems rather wasteful I agree.

I have one to fit a 5/16" dia. upright. If that is the right size you are welcome to have it FOC.

Yes, sorry my edited reply wasn't as appreciative as my original response. It is generous. I received a few free tools in the For Sale section, then went on to recirculate others that I had no need for in the same way. It's great that it self-perpetuates in this way!

Please send me a PM with your address and I'll put it in the post.

rxh":3bk49l1g said:
Please send me a PM with your address and I'll put it in the post.

Scriber clamp and lovely note received in post today! Thanks so much RXH, very generous, this will work perfectly.

Thanks also for the other replies.

Back