How do I treat an indoor oak dining table to now use outside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zazoo

Reaction score
Hi, I have a solid oak dining table that I no longer have room/use for inside so was looking to repurpose it for outdoor use - would this be possible? I would be grateful for any advice on how and what to treat the table with in order for it to be weatherproof. Many thanks.

I doubt it would have been originally constructed with waterproof glues, so there's every chance it'll fall apart after a year or two. You might be better off sawing it up and repurposing it into something like a side table?

Then give it a go, there's not really anything to lose.

Personally I wouldn't finish at all for external Oak, sure it'll silver in a year or two, but if you apply an oil or a varnish you'll have to scrape, sand and refinish every year or two for ever. Unless it's a beautiful wooden boat that's the apple of your eye, then that level of maintenance get's old really quick!

Zazoo":3kcs5a82 said:
Hi, I have a solid oak dining table that I no longer have room/use for inside so was looking to repurpose it for outdoor use - would this be possible?.
I rather assume the current dining surface is a fairly wide and long solid panel made up of narrower boards glued together. If that's the case it's far from ideal because water will pool on the top surface leading to likely failings such as severe cupping and splits. It would survive much better if the table is at least sheltered from the worst of the weather, e.g., under a lean-to or something similar.

custard has a point relating to the glue used perhaps being not either water resistant or water proof, and presumably the joinery for the whole thing was selected for internal use, therefore not selected to resist the kind of stress joinery designed to cope with exterior conditions could cope with.

I concur with custard that simply putting a finish on is likely a fruitless exercise … and might even hasten deterioration. Unless the table has some particular merit and can go to a good home, or can be broken up and re-purposed to make a well thought through picnic type table, it's probably best to just put it outside until it falls apart in a year or two. Slainte.

Most wooden garden tables have slatted tops. Could you take the top off, rip into strips and reattach with 10mm gaps for drainage?

I made an oak garden table c. 4 yrs back that I finished in Osmo external something oil, looked great for a year then rubbish for two years, and this year it’s a lovely silver.

Fitz.

Latest posts

Back