Decorating V painting kids bedroom furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a unusual rebellion from my 6 years old son.
I love the natural look of wood. Currently I am in process of making a single bed for my youngest son.
He is demanding to have a green, blue and red bed. He thinks the natural look of wood is too dull and not interesting.

Although I can paint the wood to his liking but was thinking to use decals and cover them with varnish.

I would be grateful for any advice on the finish.

Regards :?: :?:

Attachments

• 807BF545-DD9C-4B1D-AA43-3CA720C51064.jpeg
    807BF545-DD9C-4B1D-AA43-3CA720C51064.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 142
Just decorated my six year old son's room.

It was bland nursery beige and it was great fun painting the walls blue and injecting a bit of colour. He complained and moaned about the new wooden bed and asked everyday for it to be painted. He forgot after a week and hasn't mentioned it since.

The bed in the picture will be covered in blankets and toys and only the headboard and footboard will be seen. Personally, I wouldn't worry about adding any colour or decals - he'll get a new favourite TV show and ask you to change it all in six months!!

I agree.
Suggest he chooses the wall paint for his room, applying that and then altering it in a few years time would be a doddle compared to refinishing the bed frame.

That bed must weigh an absolute ton!

Once the mattress and bedding is on it will look less woody. Choose a red duvet cover, green pillowcase and blue sheets and he won’t notice.

In my case I went with the intention of my boy sleeping in the bed until he ups sticks and went with black and dark oak scheme i.e. something an adult wouldn't mind in their room. As others have said, wall colours are easy to change... a bed, not so much.

One thing about the prototype that jumps out is the solid base the mattress would sit on. With no way for air to get in underneath, I'd personally consider traditional slats instead. It's a fantastic project to do and tucking him in on the first night in his new bed is a huge driving force. Just be prepared for it to get drawn on some way down the line (DAMHIKT!).

I am also in the leaving the bed as it is and decorating the walls, wallpaper, murals or whatever

Not sure if its of interest but when mine were small, I painted an 8ft x 4ft sheet of ply with blackboard paint, screwed that to a wall, my kids loved it and good for the imagination

Easy enough to remove when redecorating or moving

I did mine one Christmas, I pre-drilled everything and hid it behind the wardrobe when they were out, they were downstairs opening presents and I quickly screwed it to the wall, they loved it with a box of chalks

Something I got from my mum so not my idea but it worked well

Back