Best method of making accurate bevels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simonms":3kvxup1p said:
I used a Veritas jointer with the adjustable fence which was great from a beginners perspective but it wasn't that accurate so really just acted as a guide as I tweaked in the bevels. I am yet to finish the top face of the curve so will report back when I'm done.
Fences on hand planes look like a a good idea but they aren't. Just another useless gadget.
Except on rebate planes but even then just to start the cut - it's easier to carry on without it once you've got a rebate started.

Jacob clearly has no sympathy for those people who make a meagre iving selling gadgets to woodworkers.They need to find devices that look plausible and which have no equivalent in the market place.Couple that with a few favourable reviews in the comics or online and it helps pay the bills for a bit longer.
I think the average hobbyist would be quite shocked by the tool selection of the average professional and how traditional it tends to be.They do have the advantage of having spent enough time doing things to have learned how to make good use of the tools they have and will buy good enough tools without needing to acquire the brands the online experts promote.Earlier this week I learned of the death of a former foreman and mentor and he produced lots of high quality work fairly rapidly with good,but ordinary tools.His trying plane was old when he bought it from a Scotsman who retired and was wooden and his Stanley No 4 had a sole that had worn quite thin.I know of at least one instance when he needed a plane to clean up a concave surface and by means of a bit of re-shaping of a block plane iron and a beech offcut,he was producing shavings before the morning was out.

Hi again guys,

Nearly ready to paint this so am wondering what to use to prep the timber with. I will be painting it with a matt black waterbased paint.

Ant recommendations or advice on the application of things like sanding sealer or shallac before painting welcome.

Thanks Pete,

I have bought some Bedec Multi surface paint which I have used before, it says no primer required but just wanted to pose the question to see if anyone might consider it a sensible move to use something before the paint is applied.

Update from Jan.2019.

Long time has passed but just wanted to update with a couple of pictures. The first is one of the back sections of the horn, twisted sides and the other is the larger front section, the 2 join together to make the wooden horn. Thanks for all the help here, very grateful.

Attachments

• IKUG1214.jpeg
    IKUG1214.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 15
  • VFNI4306.jpeg
    VFNI4306.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Interesting loudspeaker design. I can imagine what my Pam would say to those ha ha.
Just mention could you perhaps add onto the title, update from January 2019? Ian

Interesting loudspeaker design. I can imagine what my Pam would say to those ha ha.
Just mention could you perhaps add onto the title, update from January 2019? Ian
Cheers, just edited the thread, these horns were first made in the 1920's by Western Electric, heres a You tube clip of some playing.

Latest posts

Back