What's Blister up too now ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Had a shed built like this and drying it out is a pain, using a oil heater and dehum. looking a your firs pics with battons and year you did it. would you do it again but use bigger sheets and mount using stuff like "stick like sh!*" from Screwfix. I'm not using it to fast to once it's done. it's going to be a store and workbench at one side.

The floor right now is as laid in Oct still drying out and was pva seal it and lino and rubber sections you can buy that click together.

Any advice pls

My garage / workshop was built long before I converted it , It has a cement fillet on the outside , No problems with a damp floor , Would not change any this , its still going strong , no problems

Presume BGM means Big Green Machine. Record?

I also have a concrete sectional garage for a workshop. The best thing I ever did was replace the asbestos type roof with twin wall polycarbonate. To counteract the crazy heat of summer I have moveable sheets of 3mm, 4' x 2' ply. Not quite big enough to fully cover the inside - leaves about 6" at the ridge uncovered, but that gives a lot of extra daylight.

Other changes included increasing the pitch of the roof to gain extra storage, by making new 'A' frames out of unistrut (because it was free) but angle iron would be suitable. There's not really a lot of weight to the original roof even when covered in snow as it's evenly distributed. The original 3/4" (Edit: 1") angle iron 'A' frames would easily stand my weight.

Because I had to make new apex end panels to accommodate the change in pitch, I made one end slide outwards on four 20mm x 8" (Edit: more like 12") lengths of galv conduit (again free). That also makes a huge difference in summer.

I haven't bothered with wall insulation because of the space it takes up. In winter I have a small 5kw wood burner which keeps the place warm, sometimes too warm & I have to open the door. Previously I had a wood burner made from a gas bottle that also worked quite well.

Shower curtains & roller blinds are also a good idea - had them for years. Also have roller blinds on the front of shelving units to save them becoming filled with dust.

Presume BGM means Big Green Machine.

No not a Record it was a VB36 , maybe controversial but it was not the lathe for me and I was very happy when it sold
I longed for one for years :?

I know some members have them and are happy :) We all have choices

I am very happy with my current lathe

Any photos of your roof conversion , sound interesting

Blister, this is your thread about your shed. I only chipped in because it may be helpful to anyone contemplating making changes to their own.

Gable end made from whatever materials I happen to have at the time. The adjusable vent allows some excess heat to escape but was more to let out the smoke when I didn't get enough draw from the flue with a previous fire - cured by lengthening flue. You can just make out the four pieces of pipe that act as runners for the centre portion of the end.

One roller blind covers shelving & another hangs from the roof purlin (can just be seen in top left of photo). Made using the material from yet another blind so that it has the length to reach the floor. It's amazing how many shavings manage to find their way under even a 12-18" gap.

Shed Gable End (Medium) - Copy.jpg

Even with the altered pitch, each side of the roof is only 58" from ridge to gutter. Kept the cost down by using 2m wide sheets thus using fewer glazing bars. In addition because of the small span height wise, they only need fixing where they rest on the wall plate & purlin. Mine have been through the horrendous gales we've suffered the last couple of years, without problem. Even the carport which uses much longer 2m wide by 3.05m sheets came away unscathed.

Suitable material to form the ridge is what I've failed to find. Currently using 3m lengths of 150mm white PVC trim with a centre crease that facilitates bending. Really need something wider & in a longer length.

Attachments

• Shed Gable End (Medium) - Copy.jpg
    Shed Gable End (Medium) - Copy.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 886
I know this is a really old thread however I am planning to do the same to my garage which is exactly the same construction.

How did you fix the battens to the wall?

I was going to use fixing plates fixed to the bolts between the concrete panels to attach the battens to.

Cheers

Back