Recommendation for a big roughing gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic.Watson

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I was speaking to a chap a while back and he showed me a big heavy old chisel that he had and used as a roughing gouge (roughly 30” long with a 2” wide end). I have been on the look out for one myself as it seemed like a good idea but have so far been unable to find anything suitable.
Anyone got one and have any recommendations as to where to find one?

Thanks!

Henry Taylor's largest roughing gouge is inch and a half I used mine for years turning large newel posts and pillars it was great you may find one secondhand but be prepared to pay quite a lot mine is now worn out and I can't justify spending the money as I don't turn for a living anymore.I manage Now with a Sorby inch and a quarter but I do miss the extra heft of the Henry Taylor one.I am not sure if they still make them new but if they do try to get an unhandled one and make your own handle a little longer.My suggested length of handle would be about sixteen inches I don't think you would ever need a roughing gouge larger than this ,hope this helps regards Kevin.

I have a large crown RG I don’t use. Iirc approx 2” across flutes but may even be bigger. Some guttering on a stick!

Drop me a pm if you’re interested.

Simon

Back