Possibly daft MFT question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fezman":2hlh9s92 said:
Paul - have a look at Peter Parfitt's channel and the parf guide system. Not got one myself, as I don't do much with sheet goods, but could be what you are looking for.
The Parf Guide system isn't bad and is pretty accurate. If you do a lot of work with with sheet stuff it's quite useful and less expensive than a full blown MFT table. I built a smallish Parf Guide table a few years ago but tbh I haven't used it a great deal. What I have done though, is to cover the Parf table with a separate, lift-off cover so it now doubles as an assembly table which for me, is much more useful - Rob

I’ve got a MFT style top with a fence and flag stop and it works very well. I added a kreg ruler to it so you just run the flag along it to where you want it and off you go.

It’s been a big improvement over just the bench dogs and rails because if kept finding it tricky to nudge my workpiece to line up perfectly under the track whilst ensuring I kept the top pressed against the dogs.

If you want repeatable cuts then it’s definitely the way to go without the full mft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been convinced after the videos and advice to get an mft top, build bench under it (leaving space for clamps), then get the fence dogs and aluminium extrusion peter suggests.

Thanks again everyone for the invaluable advice which means my end solution will be much better than the original idea I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am still waiting for Peter to finish his MFT based mobile table. C'mon Peter pull your finger out! :twisted: :wink:

Have a look at the Dave Stantons portable bench, he uses the parf guide system for the top and bench cookies for the stand, I built one of these as dragging my MFT around ws a PITA, its pretty damn useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-SzRbVPob0

He has since added a skirt and all kinds of add-ons to it.

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Sorry, missed this thread originally, though it looks like you guys have covered everything!

I did a couple of vids specifically on the MFT:-

182 Festool MFT https://youtu.be/0V-p5F7SjO4
183 MFT follow-on https://youtu.be/RxcVY8ZR2fQ

Which may shed a little more light. An MFT-style top, dogs and fence are great if all you want to do is cut straight and square; being able to drop the rail down and use it as e.g. a fence for a domino/doweller/biscuit jointer for those mid-carcass fixings is a huge advantage of the full MFT, but if it isn’t something you need, or need regularly, then it’s probably overkill, and if I was in that situation I’d probably go for a FenceDogs fence & flag stops and raildogs for the rail.

FWIW I have my MFT legs folded, and the MFT built into a run of benches, so there’s space beneath for storage etc...

HTH, Peter

Assuming that for now cutting sheet goods is your objective, and the clamping versatility of an MFT style top can wait...
Do you have a track saw? If not then you could first try a scaled up version of Dan Pattison's crosscut jig: search "circular-saw-cross-cut-jig-pt1".
If you have a track saw the simplest way to try out the concept is to buy two tall bench dogs and an appropriate bit. Set them up as shown in Peter Parfitt's Speedy Cutting Station video. Instead of trying to get a row of dog holes across the top at a perfect right angle to the fence dog holes, clamp a wooden fence in place as accurately as possible, and perform the four cut test to calibrate it. Also called the 5 cut test; Peter and others have videos. When it's accurate enough screw the fence down.
From what I've read plywood vs MDF is mostly a personal preference, the main differences probably being cost, weight, and apparently dogs fit a bit more tightly in plywood.
On the other hand the CNC tops mentioned earlier in the thread seem reasonably priced and provide a lot more functionality.
Good luck!

Interesting thread. I've been debating the UKJ MFT from Axminster for a while but more to use as a bench than a cutting table. Being able to clamp on the top and verticals seems a great idea and one that is missing from many of the others. Perhaps I'm missing the downsides?

matt":2o3kedn8 said:
Interesting thread. I've been debating the UKJ MFT from Axminster for a while but more to use as a bench than a cutting table. Being able to clamp on the top and verticals seems a great idea and one that is missing from many of the others. Perhaps I'm missing the downsides?

Depends how you want to use it as a workbench. If its for hand tool work like sawing, chiseling, hammering etc, you'd be much better off with a traditional heavy weight, thick surfaced top jobby. Less vibration, less movement, no annoying holes for things to fall through.

If you have the space, I think you'd always want the two types.

But it all really depends how you go about building it. There is no reason why you couldn't build a heavy duty MFT type setup. Like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLOlQzxwgMM

Ha ha - good point about the holes. I hadn't thought of that! My "workshop" is a garage and I've tried to move away from big and heavy to light and movable. I need a capable table - something to sit at and work on stuff but also suitable for holding things (mostly wood) to work on. Currently I have a sheet of play across a couple of B&D workmates.

If you buy a new MFT top, (Just the top) and a few of Peter's 'parf-dogs', that is all you need. Assuming you have the track saw already of course.

You can make all the cuts you need without the protractor and mitre from the MFT.
When I got my MFT, there weren't so many ideas on the go, so I had the full kit. But I didn't use the fence and mitre guide. In my shop the table is just too big, at 30" square. So I worked on a narrower version of the top, on trestles; outside in the sun, just using the board and the dogs. Peter has a video on YT showing how he does it. :D

John

matt":1xbsdjf3 said:
Ha ha - good point about the holes. I hadn't thought of that! My "workshop" is a garage and I've tried to move away from big and heavy to light and movable. I need a capable table - something to sit at and work on stuff but also suitable for holding things (mostly wood) to work on. Currently I have a sheet of play across a couple of B&D workmates.

I also need to be able to pack everything up so recently made a 2 part 6' x 3' Paulk type bench. Although the complete top has the 3mm holes drilled in case I need to later add more dog holes, I kept most of the dog holes to one end to avoid screws etc dropping through holes at the assembly end. The mk1 Parf guide worked very well. Having used it a fair bit recently, being able to put tools underneath keeps the top much clearer when working.

Attachments

• P1010133a.jpg
    P1010133a.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 280
Back