Ash Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
This was one of Ray Key's roughed out bowls I bought at the Seminar last year. I thought it was about time I did something with it! It's 16" diameter and 4" deep. The outside was a straight forward re-turning to true it up with a little reshaping near the base to form a foot. On the inside I added a wide curved rim with an undercut. The wood has a mixture of olive ash and ripple figure. Finished with a couple of coats of oil for use as a salad bowl.

Attachments

• Ash-Bowl-LR.jpg
    Ash-Bowl-LR.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 345
Elegant, and the wood figuring adds character and an additional source of interest when in use.

I never even knew he had died! Such a shame, Ray's book "woodturning and design" was my very first turning book and it has been a constant guide ever since, I remember once handling one of his boxes at the Bristol Woodworker show, it was a masterpiece of turning, the lid fit was so precise I had trouble getting it back on, yet once it was correctly located, it just slid into place. A really great woodturner.

Back