Have an MFT style top. Whats a good method to duplicate it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I paid for a cnc milled mft / bench dog hole top. It's 25mm thick mdf. I'd like to understand if it would be relatively easy to replicate this top while it's in good condition using some sort of arrangement with a router and or forstner bits, etc? Amybody have success in doing so?

Thanks

Not sure in Ireland, but the price for my 18mm MDF top was little more than I could buy a sheet of MDF for. For me, it wouldn't be worth doing it myself

The CNC service was equivalent to 100 GBP. MDF top was 40 GBP. Added to that was the hassle and time to collect the workpiece as the cnc shop is quite a distance away

I'd fit a 20mm guide Bush to my router, and choose a suitable half inch cutter which can be plunged without clogging.

Plunge a half inch hole in each location, then swap the cutter for something larger - maybe a 16mm and repeat.

Fit a bearing guided cutter and set the depth so you cut 3mm of so into your new sheet, and slowly, carefully duplicate the full-size whole into the new sheet, being extra careful not to damage the CNC master.

Once you've got a full sized matrix 3mm deep, remove the master and repeat until your hopes are full depth.

PS: In my experience forstners clog hopelessly in MDF, but mine are pretty cheap and nasty.

Sorry I don't follow. If the 3mm is the first cut into the new sheet, where are the first cuts made, the ones referring to half inch and 16mm diameters

The half inch and 16mm are plunged fully depth into the new sheet, removing the bulk of the material so that your bearing but is only doing light, accurate work.

The 3mm cut is the first full size cut, but not the first cut.

Prizen":3nplhxuw said:
Hi all
I paid for a cnc milled mft / bench dog hole top. It's 25mm thick mdf. I'd like to understand if it would be relatively easy to replicate this top while it's in good condition using some sort of arrangement with a router and or forstner bits, etc? Amybody have success in doing so?

Thanks

Hi, I make all my tops with the Parf Guide System, initial outlay is around £165. Then the options are pretty much endless, you can make new MFT tops, bench tops and cutting stations. I wouldn’t be without mine.

CNCdesign (who get quite a lot of love on here it seems) sell a jig for doing the holes - it may be worth making something similar using your top as the guide.
It looks like this: https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/pro-jig-replacement-perforated-festool-type-mft3lp-top.html
pj1-1000.jpg

Back