Bog oak treasure trove.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love a small amount Mike (enough for some small boxes) but an 8 hour (ish) round trip is pushing my limits!

Given that I’d be making smaller ‘stuff’ some of the small section bits that can be machined down would suit.

If you do decide to do some ‘mail order’ I’ll be very interested.

I won't know what the plan is, stuartpaul, until I've got the stack home and sorted through everything. One possibility is that I cut up a few of the pieces into bowl blanks, pen blanks, tool handle blanks etc, as well as bigger pieces for veneers, boxes, and so on. I then post these off to all and sundry. That's quite a lot of work and hassle, so the other thing I am considering is selling the whole plank to others who might club together to buy one, with someone collecting it on the sale day, before dividing it up between themselves afterwards. I can imagine a group of turners buying one of the outer boards which still has the round of the tree, and has some serious thickness in the middle, then dividing it up amongst themselves to get some bowl blanks each, plus all the off-cuts for whatever else spinney people make. That would be easier for me, albeit I could probably get a few more pennies for it doing it the hard way. I dunno yet........

Hi mike, I would be interested if you are creating lists of interested people! Please keep me posted. Cheers, al

Hi Mike, could you add my name to you list of interested WW, not yet sure what i would do with it -a table top would be nice- but being realistic I suspect if i was lucky enough to buy a board it would be a much smaller piece given what's been said before. I particularly like working with Ash, i'm particularly interested in seeing what you Ash looks like.
I would probably rather view and collect in person depending on what gets left if that's what works best for you.

I'm not making a list, guys. I'll open a new thread in due course with photos of all the boards, and with details of the how the sale is going to work, and that'll be the time to dive in.

Mike-W, I'll certainly be planing up at least part of one of the ash boards, and photos of that will also go in the new thread (unless I decide to hang on to all of the boards :) ).

MikeG.":2apwojlp said:
........... I have planed up the main board both sides, and measured it carefully, as well as recording the one shake in it. I'll now keep this inside and see how stable it is. Anyway, here are some piccies (it was very bright, so the colours are somewhat washed out):

zp1X00U.jpg

Two weeks later, I have checked this board again. I have had it indoors for that time. It has remained absolutely flat, and the one shake hasn't changed, nor have any others appears. It has lost approx 0.1 of a mm in thickness.

-

I hope to be able to announce a date for the sale in the next few days, and shortly thereafter to post photos and details of each individual board. Look out for that next week.

Hi Mike

I am interested in one specific size: finishing to 1715 mm long and at least 320 mm wide (but can be wider, up to 400 mm). Thickness 25 - 50 mm finished. It is for an internal cill which will be on display. I don't care about shakes as I can fill them with epoxy if too big. I hope there's a way that you could select a piece for me and I can collect it sometime (not urgent).

Keith

I haven't yet got the boards to somewhere I can inspect them, Keith, so it is too soon to come up with a plan about how they are sold. However, it is my hope that I will be selling them by the whole board only, so if you want a piece which is 1800 long you'd have to buy a board (2800 long) and either use the remainder for another project, or sell it. If that is what ends up happening, then members would be welcome to club together to buy a board between them, to share as they see fit.

Thanks Mike, it will be fine to buy a whole board.

It might be an idea to fit up a pair of trestles on Sale Day so that people can chose bits up to share or to get in their cars!

Keith

.........and in other news, I'm collecting the boards tomorrow. This involves co-ordinating the removal of a tractor, deliveries to an adjacent business, and moving a piano.

If any of us club together, or want to buy the surplus from someone's board, well need to divvy it up on site. Does this cut easily, or is it like iron?

It's just like ordinary oak. I'll have a circular saw and a chainsaw here. And cake. Lots of cake........ :lol:

Steve Maskery":pte6ywh3 said:
MikeG.":pte6ywh3 said:
.........and in other news, I'm ...moving a piano.
Presumably you have booked Mrs. Mills to tinkle out "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" all afternoon on sale day?

Nah........I'd actually like some people to turn up........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I've finally got all of this lot away from the farm and into a friend's barn. I don't think I'll walk properly for a week; there are some incredibly heavy pieces. I am not convinced there is any bog ash, though. I seems initially to all be oak, but it is all so filthy it's impossible to be sure. Unfortunately I won't get back to it to clean it up and take photos until the middle of next week, but my initial impression is that whilst there has been a lot of movement, and shakes, there is an amazing amount of timber.....and one tree in particular seems to be very black indeed.

There'll be a new thread in the For Sale section in due course (this week, all being well), with photos, sizes, brief description, and prices. I expect the sale day will be in 2 or 3 weeks time, and will confirm as soon as I can.

Hmm... Might find me driving a motorhome to a caravan park somewhere near you. :wink: Wouldn't dare tell the missus though, would need to sell her the attractions of the area. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back